GoldCoast Salads recalls crab spread over possible listeria contamination

recall

GIANT Food Stores, LLC and MARTIN’S Food Markets, following a
recall by Gold Coast Salads, announced it removed from sale Gold Coast Fresh Crab
Spread due to possible contamination by listeria monocytogenes.
The following product is included in this recall:
• Gold Coast Fresh Crab Spread, 8 oz., UPC 83355500325, expiration date of
1/31/2013
To date, GIANT/MARTIN’S has received no reports of illnesses. Customers who have
purchased the product should discard any unused portions and bring their purchase
receipt to GIANT/MARTIN’S for a full refund.
Listeria is a common organism found in nature. Consumption of food contaminated with
Listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, an uncommon but potentially fatal
disease. Healthy people rarely contract listeriosis. However, listeriosis can cause high
fever, severe headache, neck stiffness and nausea. Listeriosis can also cause
miscarriages and stillbirths, as well as serious and sometimes fatal infections in those
with weakened immune systems, such as infants, the elderly and persons with HIV
infection or undergoing chemotherapy.
Consumers looking for additional information on the recall may call Gold Coast
customer service at 1-239-513-0430. In addition customers may call GIANT/MARTIN’S
Customer Service at 1-888-814-4268 for more information. Customers can also visit the the
GIANT/MARTIN’S websites at www.giantfoodstores.com or www.martinsfoods.com.

Source: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Martin’s Food Markets

10 Comments to “GoldCoast Salads recalls crab spread over possible listeria contamination”

Jim said:
    February 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Opps I all ready ate it, now what?

Jesse said:
      February 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Me too!

tony said:
      February 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Jim. Sorry to hear about hat! Check out my YouTube video on it–I'd love your comment!

Linda said:
    February 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I have been violently ill with abdominal pain, projectile vomiting, diarrhea, fever, sweating, and chills three times in the past five weeks. After seeing two gastroenterologists, having an abdominal CT scan and being scheduled for a colonoscopy I received the recall notice yesterday on the Gold Coast Seafood spreads I purchased at Sam's Club in Port Charlotte, FL in December. I bought the blue crab spread, lobster spread and salmon spread. I do not know for sure which one made me sick, but it is definitely a serious illness. If you suspect a food borne illness from contaminated food, seek medical care immediately.

Tony said:
      February 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Linda,
      see my youtube video on the outbreak–I would LOVE your personal comment!!!!

Yvette said:
    February 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I have been ill also for two weeks, thought I had the flu, seeing dr. Tomorrow!

Cheryl said:
    February 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I , also, have had flu-like symptoms, nausea, diarrhea, headache and gastrointestinal problems, since Christmas (when I ate the crab salad that I bought at Costco)

I am definitely immuno suppressed. For 3 years, I have had a serious autoimmune disease,
    MPA Vasculitis. I have taken prednisone for 3 years, ,rituxan and many other meds.
    I thought that my new symptoms were from my medications, so I saw my rheumatologist, who cares for my Vasculitis, my GP and a gastroenterologist, had 2 endoscopies, and have taken some new meds. I notified my rheumatologist, after I got the letter about the listeria and have just gone to have blood cultures and stool cultures ,at my usual blood lab. Wish I had more info, as I can becone very ill, very quickly.

Susan said:
    February 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I ate the Blue Crab spread on January 12th and was in the hospital with severe intestinal pain, diarrhea, and bleeding on January 14th. After a CT scan, IV antibiotics, and isolation with a hospital stay of 6 days and further pain and recovery at home, I received a letter from Costco almost a month later! If my illness was due to Listeria, it was really frightening.

maureen said:
    February 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I ate it too but had no ill effects that I noticed. from what I read here it could not go unnoticed so I guess I wasn't poisoned. Anybody have delayed reaction?

Lovie said:
    February 24, 2013 at 8:03 PM

my husband I purchased the salmon spread from our local sams< ate it around new years eve so far so good.