Cumberland Valley High School unveils their choice to succeed Tim Rimpfel as the head football coach. Rimpfel’s assistant Michael Whitehead has the full support of CV to take over the program. He’s been on the Eagles staff for 16 years under Coach Rimpfel and played at CV for legendary coach Harry Chapman prior to that, graduating in 1988.
Below is the school’s official release:
Administration recommends Michael Whitehead as football coach
Michael Whitehead – a Cumberland Valley High School graduate and current coach within the program – will be recommended to the Board of School Directors to serve as CV’s newest head football coach. Pending Board approval, he will replace longtime coach Tim Rimpfel, who announced his retirement late last year.
Whitehead, current varsity 1st assistant coach and defensive coordinator at Cumberland Valley High School, brings 20 years coaching experience – 16 within CV’s program.
“Having played under Coach Chapman and having worked the sidelines under Coach Rimpfel, it is truly an honor for me to be able to hold this position,” said Whitehead. “I will do my best to uphold the traditions set forth by both of my mentors.”
Whitehead said his background as a player and assistant coach with winning programs has molded, shaped, and prepared him to serve as CV’s next head coach.
“Mike has been an integral part of the program for the past 16 years, serving most recently as Tim Rimpfel’s first assistant. He is a wealth of football knowledge and I am confident that the traditions and successes of the program will continue under his leadership,” said Gary Quigley, director of secondary education and a former coach with CV’s football program.
About Whitehead: – 1988 graduate of Cumblerand Valley High School
– Varsity 1st assistant coach and defensive coordinator under Coach Rimpfel when the Eagles earned District III AAAA championships in 2009 and 2010
– Varsity assistant coach under Coach Rimpfel when the Eagles earned District III AAAA championships in 1998, 2000, 2001, and 2003
– Varsity assistant coach, Bishop McDevitt High School, when the team earned a 1995 PIAA AA State Championship title
– Cumberland Valley head baseball coach, 1998-present
– Student-athlete, varsity football and baseball, Cumberland Valley High School
– Student-athlete, football and baseball, Washington and Jefferson College
While a student-athlete at CV, Whitehead played for the late Coach Harry Chapman. He was a member of the 1985 and 1987 District III AAAA runner-up teams.
“Coach Whitehead understands what it takes to be a CV football player as well as a CV coach,” said Athletic Director Mike Craig. “We are confident that Coach Whitehead will, both on and off the field, run a successful and disciplined program, just as Coach Rimpfel did.”
Whitehead earned a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Accounting from Washington and Jefferson College and his mathematics certification from Penn State University-Harrisburg.