Gas Leak Fixed, Residents Return Home
It was a problem that just kept spreading. A neighbor along West Broadway in Red Lion, York County could smell gas Tuesday afternoon.
Fire crews initially evacuated 4 homes, then 15.
The main thoroughfare through the borough was blocked all evening as Columbia Gas crews tried to figure out where the problem was. They found 2 leaks and then 2 more. Each leak was repaired by 8:30pm.
Firefighters went door to door taking readings to make sure it was safe for residents to go home.
“When there’s a call for gas, we want to take all the precautions that we can.” The company spokesman didn’t know how old the pipes are but do plan to spend about 3.5 million dollars in York County through March replacing aging pipes.