An early morning fire destroyed a home in Lancaster City and left five people homeless Saturday.
It happened around 7 a.m. on the 500 block of North Queen Street. Four units were damaged, causing an estimated $80,000 in damage.
“I didn’t see anything I just heard glass crashing and bullhorns,” said Delana Gardner, who lives nearby.
“Makes you appreciate life. When I finally walked back in my home I saw it in a whole new way,” said Louree Juste, who lives two doors down from the home that burned.
Investigators said a man who lives on the first floor was hurt trying to fight the fire.
“There’s a lot of fire damage, and if he would have just left the apartment and called us it would have saved a lot of damage and saved himself some injuries,” said Assistant Fire Marshal Ken Wright.
Investigators said the fire was accidental and started with a space heater.