Fatal crash on I-83 in York County

307468_10200780146565202_283490245_n

A fatal crash involving a tractor-trailer, a small bucket truck and service truck along Interstate 83 in York County.  It happened at around 4:30 in the northbound lanes of I-83 at Exit 22, North George Street in Manchester Township.  The York County Coroner is on the scene. No word on the identity of the victim.  One person in his 60′s was rushed to a local hospital, no word on a condition.

photo truck

The collision was so violent the bucket truck and service truck burst into flames.  The flames from the crash set brush on fire which quickly spread threatening a nearby Comfort Inn hotel.  The hotel was evacuated as a precaution.  Commuter traffic on Interstate 83 was backup in both directions.  Pennsylvania State Police are investigating.

12 Comments to “Fatal crash on I-83 in York County”

GUEST said:
    February 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

This accident was ridiculous! I didn't see it first hand but the traffic was a complete mess!

Adam Smeltzer said:
    February 21, 2013 at 10:34 PM

As a young driver, which I am at the age of 17, I thought that at the time that it happened, I just hit early work traffic and it was worse than what I thought. But hearing on the radio that it was an accident, made me realize that anything can happen. But it was such a mess and I then saw the scene at 9:45 tonight and that tractor trailer was torched pretty bad! Thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by what happened!

Duane Elliott said:
    February 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

The photo you are using of the S&W petroleum truck was taken by Brandon Rhoads not the original person or persons originally reported….

Kim said:
      February 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My uncle passed away in this accident, and you are complaining about who took what picture of this tragedy?

Lisa said:
        February 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

That is so sad!!! I will say prayers for your family. Who cares WHO took what picture?

heather king said:
        February 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Kim prayer to your family.

HowIgnorantRU? said:
    February 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

TV reports that this was at the exit 21 and exit 22 stretch which is the last of the idiotic design flawed areas of the Interstate in the greater York area The whole exit system in York was the worst I have ever seen anywhere and each exit was reconstructed (on the Interstate) exit by exit.

bev said:
      February 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

what does this have to do with the accident? there was something in the road from what i understand from the news. think about the families involved at this time not about your feelings on road design.

ms. ann said:
    February 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

How many must lose their lives on 83 before something is done? Reducing the speed limit to 50 until they figure it out may help!!!!!!

Mike said:
    February 22, 2013 at 12:21 AM

The reason my brother is dead in this tragic accident is because some idiot drop a mattress in the middle of the road

Lisa said:
    February 22, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I hate that stretch as much as I hate 74 south below Red Lion!!

Gina said:
    February 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

First things first ….My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those who's lives were cut short due to this accident. People need to be more careful and use the proper equipment when hauling. I've seen some pretty ridiculous sights in my days (Kitchen appliances straped in the back of sedans etc.) Lowes will rent you a truck by the hour at a resonable price if you need to haul and do not have the right equipment to safely do so.