The National Weather Service in State College has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow…which is in effect from 10 pm this evening to 10pm est Wednesday. the winter storm watch is no longer in effect.
* locations…the Laurel Highlands…mainly along and south of
route 22 including the cities of: Johnstown, Altoona, Huntingdon, Mount Union, Carlisle
* hazard types:heavy snow.
* accumulations…4 to 8 inches of snow.
* timing…snow will begin just after midnight and last through
* impacts…dangerous travel conditions due to snow covered roads. Substantial reductions in visibility. heavy wet snow and gusty winds could result in power outages.
* winds…northeast 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
* temperatures…in the lower 30s.
* visibilities…near zero at times. precautionary/preparedness actions…
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means a significant amount of snow is forecast that will make travel dangerous. if you must travel…keep an extra flashlight…food…blanket and a cellular phone in your vehicle in case of an emergency.