Full list: Cooling centers open to seniors looking to escape the heat
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a hazardous weather outlook for Central Pennsylvania this week. Temperatures may reach the mid-90s, with a heat index value of 100 degrees or higher.
Many senior centers in the area open to provide relief for residents age 60 or older.
Bistline Senior Center, 1291 S. 28th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
B’Nai B’rith Senior Center, 130 Third Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
East Hanover Senior Center, 8848 Jonestown Rd., Grantville, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Edgemont Senior Center, 2400 Oxford Avenue, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Friendship Senior Center, 5000 Commons Drive, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Heinz-Menaker Senior Center, 1824 North 4th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hoy Senior Center, 301 Mohn Street, Steelton, Monday – Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Jewish Community Center, 3301 North Front Street, Harrisburg, Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lick Towers Senior Center, 1301 North 6th Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Lykens Senior Center, 200 West Main Street, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Millersburg Senior Center, 109 Edward Drive, Millersburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Mohler Senior Center, 25 Hope Drive, Hershey, Monday – Friday, from 8 am. to 4 p.m.
Rutherford House Center, 3300 Parkview Lane, Harrisburg, Monday – Friday, from 8 am. to 4 p.m.
The Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging has a limited number of fans and air conditioning units available for loan to needy seniors age 60 and over. To obtain a fan or air conditioner, or to request other assistance, citizens may call the Area Agency on Aging at 717-780-6130, which is staffed around-the-clock.
With the heat wave across the area today Grace Community Church has opened a cooling shelter.
The shelter is located at 17 N Washington St. Greencastle, PA.
Doug Toms is the contact his phone number is 717-567-1663.
As a precautionary measure and to minimize the dangers of the excessive heat, the Lancaster County Office of Aging is extending hours of operation at the following senior community centers from Monday July 15 through Friday July 19, 2013 as per the specified schedules below:
- Cocalico Senior Center, 156 West Main Street, Reinholds
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Ph: 336-7489
- Columbia Senior Center, Columbia United Methodist Church, 510 Walnut Street, Columbia, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Ph: 684-4850
- Elizabethtown Senior Center, 70 South Poplar Street, Elizabethtown
9:00 AM – 6:00 PM. Ph: 367-7984
- Lancaster Rec Senior Center, 525 Fairview Avenue, Lancaster
8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Ph: 399-7671
- Lititz Senior Center, Lititz United Methodist Church, 201East Market Street, Lititz
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. Ph: 626-2800
- SACA Senior Center, 545 Pershing Avenue, Lancaster
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM. Ph: 295-7989
- Millersville Senior Center, St. Paul Lutheran Church, 222 N. George Street, Millersville, Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. Ph: 871-9600
- Next Gen Senior Center, 184 South Lime Street, Quarryville
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM. Ph: 786-4770
- Lancaster Neighborhood Senior Center, 33 East Farnum Street, Lancaster
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Ph: 299-3943
Blain Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone 536-3630 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
7 Blain Road, P.O. Box 133, Blain, PA 17006 REGULAR HOURS
Hours: Mon, Tues, & Wed 8:00 – 3:00 OF OPERATION ONLY
Thurs & Fri 7:00 – 1:30
Joan Palm, Manager Bonnie Hebbie
Central Perry Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 582-4508 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
P.O. Box 703, 225 W. Main Street, New Bloomfield, PA 17068 REGULAR HOURS
Hours: Mon, Tues, & Thurs 8:00 – 1:00 OF OPERATION ONLY
Wed 8:00 – 2:00
Fri 8:00 – 12:00
Jill Quigley, Manager
Duncannon Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 834-4777 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
301 High Street, Duncannon, PA 17020 REGULAR HOURS
Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00 – 1:00 OF OPERATION ONLY
Mary Rineer, Manager Faith Shunk
Liverpool Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 444-7305 NOT A COOLING STATION
403 Union Street, P.O. Box 6, Liverpool, PA 17045 SENIORS TO USE FIREHALL OR
Hours: Mon, Tues, & Thurs 8:30 – 1:30 LUTHERAN CHURCH
Wed 8:30 – 2:30
Fri 8:30 – 12:30
Becky Murray, Manager
Marysville/Rye Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 957-2525 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
198 Leonard Street, Marysville, PA 17053 REGULAR HOURS OF OPERATIONS ONLY
Hours: Mon – Fri 8:30 – 1:30 BOARD MEMBERS WILL PROVIDE AFTER
Vicki Heisley, Manager HOURS SERVICE
Millerstown Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 589-3950 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
99 Greenwood Street, P.O. Box 564, Millerstown, PA 17053 REGULAR HOURS – EXTENDED UNTIL 4 PM
Hours: Mon – Fri 9:30 – 2:30
Marilyn Lauver, Manager
Newport Senior Citizens’ Center – Phone: 567-6058 PROVIDING COOLING STATION
2 North 2nd Street, Newport, PA 17074 REGULAR HOURS OF OPERATIONS ONLY
Hours: Mon, Tues, Wed & Fri 8:00 – 1:00 ; Thurs 8:00 – 2:30 BOARD MEMBERS WILL PROVIDE AFTER
Pat Ibaugh, Manager HOURS SERVICE
The general public can go to the Salvation Army, 114 S. Duke St. in York City. The cooling center will be open from 1 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It will be operated by Salvation Army staff.
In addition, many local senior centers are providing extended hours this week to provide relief from the heat for residents age 60 or older. Locations and hours of operation are listed below:
- Delta Senior Center, 5 Pendyrus Street, Suite 1, Delta
Open until 7 p.m. if needed Monday through Thursday, and until 5 p.m. on Friday
- Dillsburg Senior Activity Center, 1 N.Second Street, Dillsburg
Open until 4:30 p.m. all week, additional hours if needed
- Golden Visions Senior Center, 250 Fame Ave, Suite 125, Hanover
Open until 5:30 p.m. all week.
- Heritage Senior Center, 3700 Davidsburg Road, Dover
Open until 3 p.m. all week.
- Red Land Senior Center, 736 Wyndamere Road, Lewisberry
Open until 3 p.m. all week (normal hours)
- Stewartstown Senior Center, 26 South Main Street, Stewartstown
Open until 5 p.m. all week.
- Susquehanna Area Senior Center, 2427 Craley Road, Wrightsville
Open until 5 p.m. all week
- White Rose Senior Center, 27 South Broad Street, York
Open until 4 p.m. all week, later if needed on Monday and Tuesday
- Windy Hill, Senior Center, 50 North East Street, Suite 2, Spring Grove
Open until 4:30 p.m. all week
- York Community S.E.N.I.O.R.S., 1251 West King Street, York
Open as needed all week