Columbia Boro man killed in crash on Rte. 283 in Dauphin County

Pennsylvania State Police say a 26 year old Columbia Borough man was killed in a crash on Route 283  in Dauphin County.  It happened at about 6:57 pm Wednesday in the westbound lane of Route 283 in Conewago Township.

Police say the victim, who was traveling at a home rate of speed, lost control of his 2005 Chevrolet Equinox and veered toward the right shoulder of the roadway. The SUV struck a 1999 Plymouth Voyager minivan traveling in the right lane, driven by Shirley Lehman. 58, of Quarryville, Lancaster County.  The impact spun the minivan around and it came to a rest on the right side of the westbound lane. Lehman was not injured.

The SUV upon impact rolled over approximately four times, ejecting the driver, who was not wearing a seatbelt.  The SUV also came to rest on the rightside of the roadway. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene by the Dauphin County Coroner’s Office.  Police are withholding the name of the victim pending notification of kin.

13 Comments to “Columbia Boro man killed in crash on Rte. 283 in Dauphin County”

Steve Shepps said:
    July 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

What is "home rate of speed"?

MyTakeOnIt said:
      July 25, 2013 at 4:35 AM

It's the lack of proofreading by Fox43.com reporters who must be overworked or short on time.

Al P said:
    July 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Lack of proofreading is epidemic are all the local station sites. BTW, he is a perp, not a victim. Losing control seems also to be epidemic.

Transplanted58 said:
    July 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM

And "his" vehicle may have stolen. He hit me first and fled the scene, then had the second accident.

CNews said:
      July 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Transplanted the vehicle wasn't stolen!!

Transplanted58 said:
        July 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Sorry, just stating what I was told.

dar213 said:
          July 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I doubt a soldier would steal a car, commit a hit and run, then flee the scene at a high rate of speed.

Transplanted58 said:
            July 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Are we reading the same article? I see nothing about him being a soldier.

dar213 said:
            July 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

He was wearing a full Army Combat Uniform.

Transplanted58 said:
            July 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ok, I retract the "may have been stolen" part (even though I was told that), but the hit and run stands.

Transplanted58 said:
    July 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

again, are we reading the same article? Don’t see that mentioned anywhere in the above piece.

dar213 said:
    July 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Don't need to read the article. Saw it all and tried to save him but was too late. He was a soldier, a combat vet that served with distinction. If I may, where did he hit you? He was pulled off the side of the road a few miles prior to the accident location but I didn't see him in or out of the vehicle.

Transplanted58 said:
      July 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Hit me right before the 743 exit. I too saw him pulled over, but shortly after that he broadsided me and fled. I’ve seen the follow up reports and grieve that we’ve lost what appears to have been a fine young man. What caused the incident from the point we saw him along side the road until his demise we can only guess. RIP, Sgt. Vera