UPDATE: No charges in crash that left woman trapped in SUV for 18 hours

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Police believe the young woman who was trapped in her SUV after crashing down an embankment fell asleep while traveling to her home. Investigators say there are no indications that she was involved in any illegal acts prior to the crash and do not suspect texting was a factor.

Police want to stress that Brooke Spence endured a very traumatic experience.  They say she demonstrated incredible to endure being trapped in her vehicle for 18 hours.

The crash was “heard” by many people in the area, according to police, but no one called 911 to have the source investigated.  The crash caused power to lapse briefly.  Police say it is a reminder  to everyone that although you may look out your window and not see something immediately, it does not hurt to call  911 and have officers respond to check the area.

Original story:

An 18 year old Lancaster County teenager survives being trapped in her wrecked SUV for 18 hours. West Hempfield Township Police say that sometime between 11 pm and 11:30 pm Saturday night the eastbound SUV in the 4400 block of Marietta Avenue, Route 23, for unknown reasons crossed over the center line into the westbound lane. The vehicle struck a guide wire for a PPL pole, went airborne for 20 feet and went down a culvert.


The 2002 Dodge Durango, hit the culvert headon and flipped over onto its roof, pinning the driver, 18 year old Brooke Spence, of Mount Joy in the driver’s seat. Thick under brush effectively blocked sick of the wreckage from the roadway.


The next day at about 5:07 Sunday night, 49 year old Brad Shearer, who lives in a home along the roadway, noticed a glint in brush. He had heard the noise the night before but didn’t see any vehicle. When he looked into the brush and saw Brooke trapped inside the SUV he called 911.

Shearer stayed with Spence, who was conscious, until emergency crews arrived. She was removed and taken to Lancaster General Hospital.