By, Deborah Feyerick and Rande Laboni (CNN)
Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev accused the government of imposing unduly harsh restrictions on their client in a motion filed Wednesday.
Tsarnaev is “in near total isolation,” is banned from praying with other inmates and is allowed out of his cell only to meet with lawyers or spend short periods in an outdoor enclosure, court documents said.
Massachusetts U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz asked the attorney general for these special administrative measures after Tsarnaev had been in prison for four months.
Ortiz said the restrictions are necessary as part of what prosecutors call Tsarnaev’s “continued desire to incite others to engage in violent jihad,” according to the August memorandum included in the court filing.
As evidence, prosecutors cite the 1,000 “unsolicited” letters the 19-year-old Chechnya-born American has received during his five-month incarceration. His lawyers say he has not responded to any of them.
Tsarnaev has been at the Fort Devens prison facility an hour outside Boston after a brief hospitalization for wounds incurred during his capture on April 19. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, spent days on a highly publicized run after the marathon bombing on April 15.
To read the whole story, click here.