DUI enforcement planned for Thanksgiving
The Franklin County DUI Task Force, coordinated by the Washington Township Police Department, announced that DUI enforcement will be conducted throughout the task force’s jurisdictional areas. Members include Waynesboro Police Department, Chambersburg Police Department, Greencastle Police Department, Shippensburg Police Department, Mercersburg Police Department, Washington Township Police Department and the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office. Operation Safe Holiday will begin November 22, 2013 and continue through the New Year holiday.
This planned enforcement is part of PennDOT’s impaired driving program targeting motorists who operate vehicles while under the influence. The program is comprised of law enforcement officers from numerous municipal DUI task forces along with the Pennsylvania State Police and other law enforcement agencies.
Crashes involving impaired persons are entirely preventable. Motorists should keep their families, themselves, and other motorists safe by designating a driver or not driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Never drive impaired. Never ride with an impaired driver. When you drive impaired your whole family is affected.
When you are on the road traveling, protect your family from an impaired driver, always make certain everyone in the vehicle is buckled – your first defense against an impaired driver.
- PennDOT data shows that in November 2012, there were approximately 10,738 crashes and 120 fatalities. In November 2011 there were 10,950 crashes and 110 fatalities.
- The Thanksgiving holiday period experienced the highest number of crashes and fatalities of any major holiday season last year. There were 4,328 crashes and 53 fatalities during the period, which included the weekends before and after the holiday, as well as the holiday itself.
- There were 565 unbelted crashes, 29 fatalities and 23 unbelted fatalities during the 2012 Thanksgiving Holiday.
Tips for a Ticket-Free Holiday Season:
- Obey posted speed limits and traffic laws.
- Adapt your driving to weather conditions.
- Keep an eye out for aggressive drivers in high-traffic areas and resist the temptation to drive aggressively yourself.
- Avoid distractions and keep your eyes on the road at all times.
- Never drink and drive.
- Always wear your seat belt. Click It or Ticket.