With the holidays upon us, one big part of the celebration is often the big family dinner. And for many, picking just the right wine to go with your turkey, ham or roast can sometimes be difficult and intimidating.
Stephen Rigby is a local winemaker with Hauser Estate Winery and has been in the wine business for 34 years.
He stopped by Fox43 to give us some tips on what wines work best with different holiday dishes.
Plus, for those big parties, there’s some wine cocktail recipes to keep everyone’s taste buds happy.
Hauser Holiday Mulled Wine
– 1 Bottle red wine (Devils Den Red is recommended)
– 1/2 to 3/4 cups of brown sugar (sugar can be adjusted to taste)
– 10-12 cloves
– 2-3 cinnamon sticks
– 1-2 oranges or clementines
Put all ingredients in shallow pan and simmer 10-20 minutes.
Hauser’s Holiday Cocktail
– 2 bottles of Apple Wine (Abe’s Apple Wine is recommended)
– 1 cup of sugar (sugar can be adjusted to taste)
– 1 Pomegranate
– 1/2 cup of Cranberries
– 1 Apple, diced
– 6 cups of Hard Cider (Helen’s Hard Cider is recommended)
Hauser Holiday Sangria
– 2 bottles red wine (Rifle Red is recommended)
– 2 cups Cranberry Juice
– 1/2 – 1 cup of Sugar (sugar can be adjusted to taste)
– 1 cup Seltzer Water
– Oranges or Clementine slices to taste
– Rosemary to garnish
For more information on the Hauser Estate Winery visit www.hauserestate.com.