Vigil held for murder victims in York

vigil

Story by: Katie Kyros

Families held a vigil Sunday on West Mason Avenue in York for the two men shot and killed there last month.

Police are still looking for Laquan Pierrelouis, the man wanted for the murders or Derek Feree and Braydon Aldinger. Police say it was drug-related. The family says better mental health services could have saved the two.

“These kids didn’t start out in this kind of situation,” says Feree’s aunt, Tina Rosengrant. “Instead of them reaching out for drugs, and trying to self medicate, maybe they could reach out to the right resources and get the help that they need.”

The family spoke out about high rates of violence in York. According to a recent NeighborhoodScout list, York and Harrisburg are both in the 100 most dangerous cities in the nation. York is 33rd and Harrisburg is 25th.

The families lit candles at the vigil, which started at 6:48 pm, the time of the last text message Aldinger sent. It ended at 7 p.m., when the men were shot.

“We give what we get,” says Feree’s sister, Sarah Kneller.  “And I feel like right now everybody just wants to give hatred and violence and just be rough with one another. And that’s not how it should be.”

6 Comments to “Vigil held for murder victims in York”

another parent said:
    December 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM

yeah really derek has been a user since i have known him… thats over 10 yrs

Sarah said:
      December 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I believe you need to read my posting that relates to your arrogant and more than ignorant comment.

Dereks Mom said:
      December 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I want to clarify "mental health" for you. My son had ADD/ADHD. He was mentally sound for all intents a purposes. And as for YOU knowing him for over 10 years and saying you knew he had a problem, why did you not reach out to him and offer help?? I guess it was just easier for you to sit back and do nothing. My son was a great person who loved life and his family and friends. Just to let you know, my son, just a month before his death drove one of his friends to rehab. Thats what friends do for friends. He was struggling and trying to get his life together. I do not know what happened in that alley but I do know my son was UNARMED and as you said did not deserve to die.

another parent said:
    December 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

still no reason for them to be killed over it…..

Sarah said:
    December 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM

If you do not have anything positive to say, maybe you should keep your mouth shut. These boys are sons, brothers, uncles, and cousins. I pray that all of you who have posted here never have to go through what our family has gone through. Just remember you are posting on a public site and these boys families are grieving…your comments do not help at all. So I will repeat myself once again…if you have nothing nice to say about either of these boys keep your mouth shut. Another Parent…I have known MY BROTHER DEREK for 26 years and let me tell you… YOU DO NOT KNOW HIM.

Sarah said:
    December 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

You know…you are so busy criticizing the beautiful lives that have been taken from families that you are overlooking the coward who committed the act. Tell me how that is right? You too should think before you speak. You know nothing about the "mental health" of either of these boys, so keep your uneducated opinion to yourself.