1.3 million losing unemployment benefits

Saturday marked the last day 1.3 million jobless Americans will receive unemployment benefits.

The money came from an emergency federal program.  The program went into place in 2008 during the recession, providing the benefits for up to 47 weeks.

That time period is now cut down to what it was before: 26 weeks.

“I got a letter two days before Christmas,” says York woman Lori Uhrich, whose benefits expired with short notice. She lost her job of more than 17 years in May and has been job searching since then.

It will be a struggle for her family. Her husband, a Vietnam veteran, was forced to take early retirement when he couldn’t find a job. Her two grandchildren and other family members¬† live with them.

Democrats on Capitol Hill want to pass an extension of the program. Some Republicans say that spending would need to be offset with other cuts.

“I think that when you’re on unemployment, you at least have a little bit of you dignity left to be able to move forward to find that job,” says Uhrich.¬† “Sometimes when you have to go onto welfare, that is a place that you don’t necessarily want to be.”

9 Comments to “1.3 million losing unemployment benefits”

Sam said:
    December 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Call the President , he'll help them. If you can find him. Oh that's right, he's in
    Hawaii. Call Congress, Who ? Congress Who's Congress

Steve said:
    December 29, 2013 at 7:00 AM

These people need to go to indeed.com. There is no job shortage! Just a shortage of jobs that people want and are willing to take the time to apply to. It may not be the same field as your previous job or the same pay rate but enjoy working instead of living off of our tax money.

MyTakeOnIt said:
      December 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It is also the employer not selecting someone who is not qualified or overqualified. For example, are you qualified to work in a bridal shop or in daycare services? If you have asthma, can you work in a factory? Would that chronic limp and old football knee injury be a problem working on a sales floor? Can you afford a suitable vehicle to deliver pizza or newspapers? How about the qualification to be an editor for fox43.com news stories? Are you mathematically challenged that working the cash register at Rutter's won't work out?

Most can't just hop into any job anywhere doing anything. How about location? I would not drive to Harrisburg from York to work at a $9/hour part time job with no benefits.

Someday you may find yourself in the same situation that many others are in Steve. There by the grace of God go you.

anonymous said:
        December 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Just another lazy liberal blaming employers for what they don’t have. It was hard work and determination which made this country the greatest in all the world, not selective job applicants. You did what you had to do to survive.
        I am not opposed to unemployment benefits, I believe it is an important safety net….I am opposed to those who make it a lifestyle . That, my friend, is a choice.

Not What You Think said:
          December 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

There are a fair number of fifty-year-old people out there who have never before been jobless among those long-term unemployed. I know people who would jump at a job at the dollar store just to start bringing income in again. True too there are places that put up ads and never bother to take them down, there are also scam ads which target applicants for various theft schemes. Any time you have three-thousand people applying for the same minimum wage no-benefit cashier position you have problems.

MyTakeOnIt said:
          December 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Aren't you ridiculous? What makes you think I am liberal or lazy? I hold two jobs and am still below the poverty line.

This is not the Depression so going out and grabbing any job doesn't happen. Employers also don't just hire any warm body to do the job. They want some relevant skill or experience.

Not What You Think said:
            December 29, 2013 at 1:53 PM

If you do have the skills and experience you also stand a fair chance of being rejected for being overqualified. There are lots of well qualified people out there who used to earn a middle-class income who can't get an interview for a $10 an hour job now. Basically whatever else you do, DON'T TURN 50!

Yorker said:
    December 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I am very fortunate that I have a steady small income because just trying to find another job has been a real eye opener. I have been working since I was sixteen, and never before had a problem finding a job, the exercise for me previously consisted of putting in an (one, singular) application, interviewing and being hired. Not putting in applications all over town, re-doing my resume, and taking classes on how to job search, all for naught, ridiculous. I am fortunate to have competencies which can be readily turned into a small business, not everyone is so lucky.

I hope we all have a far more profitable new year, we can stick a fork in this one because it is done!

Fred said:
    December 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I started working when I was 2 years old for Walmart and I am now 88 years old
    and still working. When I started I made a penny a week. You all can make it, I did.