Local News

Stove used to heat home sparks rowhome fire in Harrisburg

An early morning two-alarm row home fire that displaced a family of four in Harrisburg was caused by an electric stove being used to warm the home, according to fire officials.

The fire, reported at 6:10 a.m., was contained to the first floor rear of the building located along the 200 block of Hummel Street in the Allison Hill section of the city.

Everyone was able to make it out safely.

A firefighter was hurt after slipping on ice while battling the blaze in sub-zero temperatures, fire officials said. He was taken to Harrisburg Hospital for treatment.

Fire officials remind residents that space heaters and cooking appliances are not suitable heating devices for heating the home.

The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary shelter and clothing.

Damage is estimated around $35,000.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement