Seven people are without a home Saturday night after a fire breaks out inside their York City townhouse. Crews responded to the fire on the 400 block of East Market Street around 5 pm Saturday evening. When fire crews arrive they found flames coming from a roof and window located on the third floor of the three story building. Crews managed to contain the fire to the third floor of the four unit building. The York City fire chief says with Saturday’s frigid temperatures, water used to put out the flames quickly froze on the roadway creating slippery conditions for firefighters and drivers.
York City fire chief Gregory Halpin says, “Freezing conditions are making footing a little treacherous here in the street in front of the building, the highway department will be coming out when we are done to salt the area to make sure traffic flows.”
No one was injured. The cause of the fire is believe to be due to electrical problems.
The Red Cross is now assisting those who were displaced.