Lancaster County man burned in workshop fire
A Lancaster County man is recovering from burns he suffered in a fire in Earl Township, Lancaster County.
The fire started just before 12:30 p.m. at a repair shop on New Holland Road near Lowry Road.
Garden Spot Fire and Rescue Chief Larry Martin said a man was inside the repair shop welding, when a spark flew into an open container of gasoline.
The man was able to get out of the building and call 911, but he suffered second and third degree burns to his forehead and the top of this head.
More than 100 firefighters and ten tanker trucks responded, and put the fire out in about an hour, under some very dangerous conditions.
“There was heavy fire. It had a heavy fire load in it, lots of chemicals, there were lots of explosions,” Martin said. “We probably heard 15-20 explosions as we were here, with the different chemicals and oil that’s stored in the shop.”
There was also about a dozen cattle inside another part of the building. A neighbor was able to get them all out safely.
Paramedics took the injured man to Lancaster General Hospital for treatment.
Chief Martin estimates the fire caused nearly $400,000 in damage and losses.