Unattended candle sparks fire at Lancaster Township apartment complex

wheatlandfire

Nearly a dozen people were forced from their homes Friday night after a fire ripped through an apartment complex in Lancaster Township. Investigators say it started just before 10 p.m. at the Wheatland Arms apartments located at 1115 Marietta Avenue.

Firefighters arrived and found heavy fire coming from a third-floor apartment. The third-floor hallway sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

Authorities say the fire was caused by a candle that was left burning unattended. It ignited nearby curtains causing the fire to spread to the rest of the third-floor apartment, fire officials said.

Damage was extensive and  is estimated around $400,000.

 

 

 


Related Stories