UPDATE: Embers from burn barrel spark house fire in York County
Firefighters had a difficult time putting out flames at a home in southern York County on Saturday.
Fire broke out of the home at 13152 Rennoll Road in Shrewsbury Township around 1 p.m.
Officials say no one was living in the home, but a relative was there cleaning it out and burning things in a burn barrel.
Embers from the barrel blew onto the porch and then spread to the second floor.
Crews had a hard time getting water to the scene.
Glen Rock Assistant Fire Chief Mike Naylor says, “The fire attack was made very difficult due to the length of the home away from the main road and no fire hydrants in the area, we had to lay hose and draft from a pond down the street.”
Asst. Chief Naylor also says the home was filled with clutter inside, adding fuel to the fire.
It reached three alarms, with personnel from 10-fire companies from York County and Maryland.
The home is a total loss.