A 12-year-old Wisconsin girl is dead. Her family thinks a trip to the doctor could have caused her death after a possible reaction to the HPV vaccine.
“I’m a tough guy. I can take a beating — but this has ripped a hole in my heart,” Said her father, Mark Prohaska.
Meredith Prohaska was a healthy, active preteen girl, but last Wednesday July 30th her mother took her to the doctor for a sore throat.
While they were at the appointment she was given a shot.
“She got her first HPV vaccine at around 10:30, 11 o’clock that morning,” Rebecca Prohaska said, “Thirty minutes later she was trying to sleep. I kept waking her up.”
Rebecca went out for a half an hour to get food, and when she returned her daughter was on the floor unresponsive.
As a 14-year veteran EMT for the National Guard she performed CPR on her daughter after calling 911. Meredith was pronounced dead at the hospital, but no one could tell her why.
An autopsy has ruled her death inconclusive, but Rebecca believes a rare potential side effect of the HPV vaccine — an allergic reaction is her cause of death.
“The only thing different about that day was that shot. I wish I would’ve known more about it before I agreed to it,” Rebecca Prohaska said.
Dr. Geoffrey Swain, a professor and medical doctor at the Milwaukee Health Department says that serious side effects are nearly one in a million.
“Vaccines in general and the HPV vaccine in particular, very, very safe. It’s a very safe vaccine and very effective,” Dr. Swain said.
Meredith’s family is awaiting more tests, but they have donated her organs and tissues to others.
The one message her mother wants people to know, “Be aware of every possible side effect — and make sure you’re hugging them all the time because you never know when you’re just going to be left with pictures.”
Read more : WITI