Woman in extremely critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with a chemical at a Utah restaurant

Police say A woman was rushed to the hospital after taking just a single sip of her sweet tea at a Utah restaurant.

South Jordan Police Cpl. Sam Winkler says 67-year-old Jan Harding was eating at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit on Sunday with her husband.

491997039Harding’s attorney said Jan spit out the tea, turned to her husband and said, “I think I just drank acid.”

An investigation determined the chemical was 67% sodium hydroxide, also known as lye. It’s an industrial cleaning chemical used to clean grease from fryers.

Investigators said a Dickey’s employee mixed the chemical, “Clean Force Fryer Cleaner,” into the sweet tea drink thinking it was sugar; it has a similar appearance.

Winkler tells FOX13 the incident appears to be an accident, but police aren’t 100 percent sure.

Harding remains in critical condition at the University of Utah Hospital’s burn center.

Read more: FOX13