Camp Curtin Elementary evacuated for false CO alarm

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Camp Curtin Elementary School was evacuated shortly before noon today, when a teacher pulled a fire alarm. According to Harrisburg Fire Chief Brian Enterline, the teacher brought a carbon monoxide alarm to school. When the alarm went off, the teacher pulled the fire alarm. This comes amidst reports recently that the air quality in 10 out of 11 Harrisburg School District buildings did not meet air quality codes. At Camp Curtin, the report found polluted air circulating in the building, including carbon monoxide.

The fire department found nothing today and said the school is 100% safe. Enterline did recommend the district buy co alarms, but said today’s incident was “blown out of proportion.” Enterline said the detector the teacher brought to school had old or dead batteries. Enterline made it clear he was not happy with the teacher’s actions. School District officials would not comment, saying the incident is an employee issue.

Engineering company Siemens repaired the boiler flue at Camp Curtin last weekend. This was one of the issues the company noted when it looked at a sample of equipment in the schools.

Workers are also supposed to be inspecting ventilation units with filters being replaced where necessary.