Ann Hammond has had her dog Buddy for the last eight years. “He’s my best friend,” said Hammond.
Recently her husband bought Buddy a bag of Beneful dog food made by the popular pet food company Purina. He’d almost gone through the entire bag, until Wednesday night.
“I noticed on Facebook that there was a problem with it possibly. So we threw the bag away,” said Hammond.
There may very well be a problem with it. A class action lawsuit has been filed by a California man. The suit alleges Beneful has toxins in it that have poisoned or even killed as many as three thousand dogs across the country. Dr. Kevin Schmidt is an associate veterinarian at the Patton Veterinary Hospital in Red Lion. “In our practice I can’t say for sure that we’ve definitely seen that Beneful is causing a problem in dogs,” said Schmidt.
However he’s still erring on the side of caution. “If you notice anything out of the ordinary, vomiting, diarrhea, not acting right you need to have cause for alarm,” said Schmidt.
He said that if your dog is throwing up consistently for more than 24 hours you need to take him to a veterinarian immediately.
Purina released a statement saying there are no quality issues with Beneful. They also said they believe the lawsuit is baseless and will defend their brand.
IF YOU LIKED SOME OF THE DOGS YOU’VE SEEN IN THIS STORY THEN YOU CAN ADOPT THEM BY CLICKING HERE.