YORK, Pa. - Summer vacation provides a nice break from the hectic pace of the school year. However, studies show that most students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills over the summer. Getting kids in the kitchen to help with nightly dinner preparation is a great way to sneak in a little math and keep those skills sharp over the summer.
Tom Burkhart with Texas Roadhouse in York shared a kid-friendly meal featuring steak bites called Dillo Bites with homemade dipping sauces that are perfect for even the littlest chef to prepare with some help from mom and dad.
Texas Roadhouse Steak Bites Recipe
1 pound sirloin steak
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
Coarse Salt and Pepper
- Spray your Grill with cooking oil
- Allow the Grill to reach medium high heat (approximately 4-5 minutes)
- Slice sirloin steak into cubes approximately 1 inch thick
- Cover with ample ground coarse salt and pepper
- Place filets onto Grill -- DO NOT DISTURB them for 3 minutes
- Lift with tongs and flip
- Wait another 2-3 minutes
- Rotate 45 degrees, and cook for another 2 minutes
- Flip again to complete the grill marks, and cook another 1-2 minutes
- Remove them from the Grill while there is still a faint pink line in the center
- Cooking time approximately 5-6 minutes total
Easy BBQ dipping sauce (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, vinegar, and sugar.
Easy Honey Mustard dipping sauce (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard and honey.
Homemade ranch dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Store the dressing in an airtight container and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.