Carbon Monoxide dangers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LANCASTER, Pa,–

Lancaster EMS Captain Joe Carr said winter is a time when carbon monoxide poisoning rises. He said many people are in their homes with the doors and windows shut.

According to Carr, stoves, heaters, and poor ventilation can cause the CO leaks. The gas is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, making it undetectable without a monitor.

He said symptoms of CO poisoning are nausea, vomiting, and fatigue, and if you are near the gas long enough it can cause death.

He said ways to prevent too much CO in a house are to have a monitor and make sure outside vents are not covered. If covered, the gas can be trapped into the home.

Carr said if you are experiencing any signs of CO poisoning to get out of the house and call officials to treat the problem and make sure you’re well.