Candle causes fire that leaves family of 8 homeless

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

YORK COUNTY, Pa. – A family of 8 are homeless after fire destroys their East Hopewell Township home. Firefighters responded at about 3:00 pm to the home in the 14900 block Cross Mill Road. Four people were at home when the fire broke out. They escaped without injury, including two family dogs.

EASTHOPE2IMG_20160209_160654515The first crews to arrived reported lots of visible smoke from the basement and the upstairs. Because of the rural location a call was put out for tankers to supply water. The fire began in the basement from clothing too close to a candle.  The upstairs sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.

Damages are estimated at $100,000 to building and content. The cause of the fire was ruled accidental.

The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced family with shelter.