Mother has warning for parents after baby suffers second-degree burns

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

San Tan Valley, AZ — A Valley toddler is home recovering after he was badly burned by water out of a garden hose.

Nine-month-old Nicholas Woodger lives in San Tan Valley.

He suffered second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body.

His mother, Dominique Woodger, said she was filling up a kiddie pool and accidentally sprayed the boy when she turned on the hose.

Woodger said, “I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face, I didn’t think that it was burning him.”

She wants to warn others about just how hot the water in a garden hose can get during the summer in Arizona.

When the temperature is 115 degrees outside, the water sitting in a hose under the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees.

Firefighters say at those temperatures, something as short as a 10 or 30 second exposure can result in a second degree burn.

Wooder says doctors tell her Nicholas will be ok, but she doesn’t want other parents and their children to experience the same pain.

“Just be careful. Touch it before you let your kids near it.”