‘There should never be any fear,’ safety preparations for Lancaster’s Pride Festival

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LANCASTER, Pa.-- After the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, action is being taken to a protect people locally.

This Sunday is the Lancaster Pride Festival. It was moved earlier this year to Binns Park in Lancaster to allow for more people.

Now, following the shooting in Orlando, there will be extra Lancaster Police will be on hand.

"Very proactive on this. They promise they will go above and beyond," Pride Festival organizer Zac Nesbitt said.

No bags will be allowed other than purses.

"If someone doesn't get the memo and brings something, we will be searching that," Nesbitt said. "We want everyone to feel safe."

Other places are taking precautions as well. The Tally Ho Tavern will have extra security for their festivities, which start Friday and run all weekend.

"We'll have someone at our back door, at our front door," Manager Kirsten Backhaus-Smith said. "We may also have someone walking around outside to make sure there is no fights, no screaming, yelling, things like that."

"We're here to celebrate and we should be safe while we do that," Nesbitt said.

He said they are expecting a record number of people to show up this year.

"I think we are a community that can't be intimidated," Nesbitt said.

According to Nesbitt, there have been no threats made against the festival. He said authorities are monitoring several platforms including social media to stay alert.

The festival is on Sunday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Click here for more information.