Ryan Lochte dropped by Speedo, Ralph Lauren

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 11: Ryan Lochte of the United States prepares in the Men's 200m Individual Medley Final on Day 6 of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium on August 11, 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

NEW YORK, N.Y. — Disgraced U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte lost two sponsorship deals Monday, hours after the end of the Rio 2016 games.

Speedo was the first to drop the swimmer.

“While we have enjoyed a winning relationship with Ryan for over a decade and he has been an important member of the Speedo team, we cannot condone behavior that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for,” said its statement. “We appreciate his many achievements and hope he moves forward and learns from this experience.”

Soon after that Ralph Lauren also issued a statement on Lochte.

“Ralph Lauren continues to proudly sponsor the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Team and the values that its athletes embody,” said the company’s statement. “Ralph Lauren’s endorsement agreement with Ryan Lochte was specifically in support of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and the company will not be renewing his contract.”

The company, which early Monday still had a photo of Lochte wearing an Olympic medal on its twitter home page, has since taken that image down.

Lochte and three teammates said they had been robbed at gunpoint after attending a party at the Olympics, but it was soon discovered the four athletes allegedly vandalized a gas station and urinated on the building. Authorities in Brazil denied any robbery took place.

On Friday, he apologized in a statement, saying he should have been “more careful and candid” from the get-go. In the excerpt shown on NBC, Lochte said “I over-exaggerated that story and if I had never done that we wouldn’t be in this mess.”

On Monday he said he respects Speedo’s decision to end his sponsorship.

“I am grateful for the opportunities that our partnership has afforded me over the years,” he said. “I am proud of the accomplishments that we have achieved together.”

Speedo initially said it was following the situation and that it has a policy not to comment on ongoing legal investigations. Monday it said it will donate a $50,000 portion of Lochte’s fee to Save the Children for children in Brazil.