State Department ordered to review 15,000 new Clinton documents in email case
WASHINGTON, D.C. — A federal judge set a preliminary schedule Monday for the release of nearly 15,000 documents between Hillary Clinton and top aides when she was the secretary of state.
The State Department was directed to assess 14,900 documents it received from the FBI as part of the investigation into Clinton’s use of her private email server while she was secretary of state, determine a plan to release the documents and report back to the court September 23.
The State Department had proposed releasing the documents the second week of October, but Judge James Boasberg of the US District Court for the District of Columbia, at the request of the conservative watchdog group, Judicial Watch, is asking State to focus on new documents uncovered by the FBI.
It’s unclear how many of the documents are emails.
FBI Director James Comey said in July the FBI “discovered several thousand work-related e-mails that were not in the group of 30,000 that were returned by Secretary Clinton to State in 2014.”
“As we have previously explained, the State Department voluntarily agreed to produce to Judicial Watch any emails sent or received by Secretary Clinton in her official capacity during her tenure as Secretary of State which are contained within the material turned over by the FBI and which were not already processed for FOIA by the State Department,” State Department spokesman Mark Toner said Monday.