Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates

The man accused of sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl in Lancaster County pleads guilty Wednesday.  Harold Herr, 73, appeared in Lancaster County Court.  He pled guilty on 11 different crimes, including kidnapping and sexual assault.  He’s been sentenced to 50-100 years in jail.

Lancaster County Assistant District Attorney says, “The purpose of that sentence was to guarantee that he would never be released and to protect the citizens of Lancaster County and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He was solemn he did cry and he didn’t acknowledge that he was going to die in jail and he understood that.”

Mansfield says Herr asked the family of the 5-year-old girl for forgiveness but recognized it probably wasn’t going to happen.  Herr is a registered sex offender.  His most recent incident took place in Lancaster Township, mid-July.

    73 -year- old Harold Herr, walked slowly into his preliminary hearing on Monday. Herr, already a registered sex offender, was found guilty of a similar crime back in 1989. In that case he abducted a 5-year-old girl, took her into a cornfield and raped her.

Herr, is now accused of  kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl from her Grandmother’s house in mid July.

In court documents Herr told police he was not involved with this crime. But when he arrived at his preliminary hearing he had a different story.

” I’ m sorry…. for what I’ve done…..I’m too ashamed to say,” said Herr

During the hearing the judge asked Herr if he understood that by waving his preliminary hearing his case would go to trial. He responded, “ I’ll take the shame.”

Court documents show Herr told the girl she was pretty and wanted to keep her. The affidavit goes on to show he then forced her into his car, threatened to kill her, and sexually assaulted her. He then brought the victim to get ice cream. After that, two boys spotted the girl in the car, and started to follow him.  It was then that he let the little girl go.

Herr is charged with 11 different crimes including sexual assault and kidnapping -

Herr’s formal arraignment  is scheduled for August 23rd at 9 am.

A Lancaster County man accused of abducting a 5-year-old girl last month waived his right to a preliminary hearing on Monday. His next scheduled court appearance is Aug. 23 in Lancaster County Court.

According to police, Harold Herr, 73, of Conestoga Township, abducted the girl on July 11 from her grandmother’s yard in  Lancaster Township.

Authorities say Herr told the girl she was pretty and he was going to keep her before grabbing her by the neck and forcing her into his car.

Afterwards he ordered the girl to remove her clothing and threatened to kill her if she refused, court documents state.

About two and hours later –two teenage boys spotted the girl in Herr’s car and chased after him on their bikes.  Eventually–Herr let the girl out of the car.

He faces 11 charges in the abduction, including kidnapping,  sexual assault, corruption of minors and involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child.

Herr remains in Lancaster County Prison without bail.

Investigators say Herr is a registered sex offender who served time for abducting and raping another 5-year-old girl in 1989.

Herr22843905_BG1Lancaster Township, Lancaster County – The man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl in Lancaster County is scheduled to go before a judge today.  The judge will have to decide if 73-year-old Harold Herr’s case should head towards a trial.

Harold Herr is already a registered sex offender after being found guilty of a similar crime back in 1989.  In that case, Herr abducted and raped a 5-year-old girl in a cornfield.  In this latest case, Herr is accused of kidnapping a 5-year-old girl from her grandmother’s house and sexually assaulting.  Now a judge today will have to decide during a preliminary hearing if the case should move toward trial.

It’s a nightmare situation for any parent, one minute a child is playing in the yard, the next, they are gone.

“The nature of having a 5-year-old girl abducted, even for a short period of time sends chills up and down all of our spines,” said Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman.

That was the scenario along Jennings Drive in Lancaster Township in mid-July.  A 5-year-old girl was taken while playing outside of her grandmother’s house.  Police say 73-year-old Harold Herr is the man responsible for the kidnapping and rape of a little girl that put a community on edge.

“I sit outside a lot now with my sister. She`s not outside by herself,” said neighbor Kelsi Rodriguez.

Court documents say Herr approached the girl and said that she was pretty and he wanted to “keep her.”  He then forced her into his car, threatened to kill her and sexually assaulted her.  After the assault, police say he bought the victim ice cream and went back to her neighborhood where he was spotted by two boys who were searching for the girl.

“The community really came out to help search for this young girl. In this case it was two boys who came out into the community looking for the young girl on their bikes,” said Manheim Township Police Chief Neil Harkins.

Herr is charged with 11 different crimes including kidnapping and sexual assault.  He faces a maximum of 100 years in jail.  The District Attorney says this type of case serves as a great reminder that anything can happen at any time.

“We encourage parents to be vigilant. That can be hard to do with multiple kids running around but this is a reminder about how things can change in a moment,” said Stedman.

According to court documents, Harold Herr told police he was not involved in this crime.  Today’s preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin at 3 pm before Magisterial District Justice Mary Mongiovi Sponaugle.  The prosecution will need to convince a judge that there is enough evidence to push this case towards a trial.

Police have filed charges against a man who was just a “person of interest” in the abduction of 5-year-old girl in Lancaster.

Harold Herr, 73, is has been charged with sexual assault charges, aggravated indecent assault, unlawful contact with a minor, and corruption of a minor according to court documents. Herr is being held at Lancaster County prison on a $200,000 dollar bail. He was arrested on Friday afternoon on a Megan’s Law violation for failure to continue to register as certified sex offender.

Investigators say that the girl was abducted from her back yard on Thursday afternoon. Once the community got involved searching for the girl, hours later two teenage boys saw a girl in the front seat of a car. They began to follow the car on their bicycles until the driver eventually stopped and let the girl out, before driving off again police say.

His preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 26.

2 teens are getting international attention for finding an abducted 5 year old girl in Lancaster Township

Lancaster County authorities say 73 year-old Herold Herr is a “Person of Interest” in last week’s attempted abduction.

Authorities say a 5 year old disappeared last week while she was playing in front of her Lancaster Township Home.

The search for the girl lasted two hours.

Police say Herr was previously convicted of rape in 1990. He originally registered as a sex offender in 2000.

Manheim Township Lt. Robert Baldwin says they hope to have a press conference Tuesday.
Baldwin says the press conference will revolve around Herr and the progress made in the investigation.

Lancaster County District Attorney Craig Stedman has identified 73 year old Harold Herr as a “person of interest” in last week’s attempted abduction of a five year old Lancaster Township girl.  The child was taken from her yard while playing. She was eventually released unharmed after two young boys trailed the suspect car on their bicycles.

Herr was arrested last week on a Megan’s Law violation. Herr was convicted of rape in 1990.  He is being held at Lancaster County Prison on $200,000 bail. Herr drives a Chevrolet similar to one described by witnesses as the vehicle driven by the white male who took the child.  The District Attorney however says so far  no charges have been filed against Herr in the abduction.  The investigation continues.

For the first time, Chris Garcia, 13, one of two teens involved in finding a 5-year-old Lancaster Township girl who was abducted, is speaking up about his role in the rescue.

All parents hope their children do the right thing when they’re not around. Fortunately, the parents of Garcia and Temar Boggs, 15, have nothing to worry about.

The teenagers turned crime-fighting duo made  a split-second decision Thursday to follow a car on their bikes, after spotting a girl inside, whose mother reported her missing two hours earlier.

Manheim Township police said the girl had been abducted from outside of her Lancaster Township home two hours earlier.

“When me and Temar found her, I felt like it was like the best day of my life,” Garcia said. “Because I actually saved a life and I felt like I actually saved a really special person.”

The little girl is now safe with her family, and the boys remain humble, despite a surge of publicity that has put their names and faces in the most unexpected places.

“I was actually just told a couple of minutes ago that I’m in three newspapers in Europe,” Boggs said. “Just surreal I guess.”

“I’m proud of him that he’s a hero, but to me, he’s just my son,” said Tamika Boggs, Temar’s mother.

She is among the many in awe of what her son and Garcia did that day.

“What if they didn’t get there? What if they didn’t intercede everything?” she asked. “It could have gone a whole different way, so I’m thankful they were there for somebody else. Like I said, it was a remarkable thing they did.”

Though neither of the boys are interested in a law enforcement career, they said they’ll still be available when duty calls.

“Any day, if somebody really needs my help, I’ll just call up Temar and we could go help them,” Garcia said.

Police have identified a person of interest, who is currently in the Lancaster County Prison on a Megan’s Law violation.

A news conference is expected Tuesday to discuss this latest development in the case.

Advertisement