Patients of York County dentist Dr. Jacqueline Marcin are receiving a letter from her following a state health investigation into her practice.
An inspector found Dr. Marcin wasn’t properly sterilizing instruments. The Pa. Department of Health is urging patients who had work done beyond a routine cleaning to be tested for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV.
Perry Capurro and his seven-year-old son, Lucas, are two of those patients.
Capurro says based on what Dr. Marcin’s attorneys have said, he expected to have no issues getting his out-of-pocket costs for the blood work reimbursed by Dr. Marcin. He recently got bills that have left him with over $800 in out-of-pocket costs.
In her letter, Dr. Marcin urges patients to submit their information to a mailing address, and “I will do my best to reimburse you.”
Capurro says he’s frustrated there’s no guarantee, especially since he was out of work last month.
“In this case, I don’t know what we’re going to do because this is putting a very hard financial strain on our budget,” said Capurro. Both his and his son’s tests came back negative. But, Capurro said his doctor advised them to get tested again in six months.
FOX43 reached out to Dr. Marcin’s attorney, Frank Marshall to get some clarification on the reimbursements. In an email, he said, “We suggest the patient follow the instructions the letter to obtain reimbursement. I am not at liberty to discuss the particulars of the case at this time as the matter continues to be pending.”
Early last month, the state’s dental board approved a consent agreement with Dr. Marcin that eventually could allow her to resume practicing on a probationary basis if she fulfills certain obligations, such as changing sterilization practices (she says she already has), completing continuing education requirements and be monitored periodically by another dentist.
In her letter, Dr. Marcin writes, “I hope to resume practice and to provide excellent dental care with the highest level of patient safety in the very near future. I am sorry for any inconvenience. It is my hope to see you as a patient again in the near future.”
Perry Capurro says he and his son won’t go back.
“Too little, too late,” Capurro said.
When news of the health department’s investigation broke, agency officials said at the time no patients had tested positive for blood-borne illness.
On Wednesday, a department spokeswoman declined to say if that was still the case, citing state law.
“The department is following up on any results we have received. That’s not to say that there are positives at this time directly associated with this case specifically. In order for us to determine if any results are directly affiliated with the infection control lapses at Dr. Marcin’s office, we have to do further investigation on a case-by-case basis,” said department spokeswoman Aimee Tysarczyk.
She added the department has responded to about 1,000 calls received to a hotline established for Dr. Marcin’s patients.