Story Summary

Two Explosions at Finish Line of Boston Marathon

There were two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon just before 3 pm Monday.  Thousands of people were gathered there for the race. It happened near the intersection of Boylston and Exeter Streets.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates
2014 Boston Marathon

As 36,000 marathoners get ready to pound the streets of Boston on Monday, authorities have their own mammoth task ahead: trying to keep all 26.2 miles of the course safe.

Ashley Fantz, (CNN) — One year after the bombing at the Boston Marathon, runners are preparing to take on the 26.2-mile challenge Monday, proving there’s no limit to their physical or mental mettle.

Lee Ann Yanni will be sure to wear a necklace with a silver stingray charm that her father gave to her before he died of cancer.

The bombs that exploded toward the end of the race course in 2013 failed to tear the jewelry from her body.

The 32-year-old couldn’t walk for five and a half weeks. But she was not defeated. Yanni started training again and in October ran the Chicago Marathon in 5 hours and 44 minutes.

“I’m running for those who can’t,” she said ahead of her Boston Marathon run. “I don’t run very pretty … but at the finish line, everybody is going to be represented.”

Krystle Campbell, 29, Lingzi Lu, 23 and grade-schooler Martin Richard, 8, were killed. More than 260 people were wounded. Some lost limbs.

Thousands like Yanni will run to honor them in the storied marathon regarded by many runners as a dream race, both for its long history and for its most infamous climb, known as Heartbreak Hill.

This year’s race will have 9,000 more runners than last year’s, and an unprecedented crowd is expected to gather, officials have said.

Another survivor, Marc Fucarile, lost his right leg. He’s undergone numerous surgeries, but shrapnel is still lodged in the inner wall of his heart. If it moves, he could die. Recently, the 35-year-old went to a court hearing for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who allegedly, along with his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, were responsible for the bombing.

Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police; Dzhokhar is facing numerous charges and could be sentenced to death.

“Whatever he gets,” Fucarile told CNN, “he deserves.”

Officials have worked hard to make sure security is very tight Monday. Backpacks are not allowed on the course this year, said Kurt Schwartz, director of the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

Costumes that cover the face, containers with more than 1 liter of liquid, and bulky clothes such as vests with pockets are also prohibited..

The weather for Monday’s race looks gorgeous — ideal for running — in the 40s with a brisk wind. Wearing chips in their shoes, all runners’ progress can be followed online at the Boston Athletic Association’s website.

The women’s elite group begins running at 9:32 a.m. ET, and the elite men’s group starts at 10 a.m. ET. Waves of other runners will start after them.

Runner’s World is carrying a list of the men and women who are expected to perform best.

CNN’s Ray Sanchez and Holly Yan contributed to this report.

A Lower Swatara Township couple says they run together for a reason.  Albert and Lori Brulo run for the camaraderie and social aspects.  Now, one year after the Boston Marathon bombings, their reason to run this year is in honor of everyone else.  Albert crossed the finish line 30 minutes before the bombings last year.  Be he ended up running back to the scene of attack.

He says, “I was to go back and meet my wife there at the finish line as she was coming across, she was scheduled to finish right at the time the bombs went off.”

Albert searched for Lori and admits, timing is everything.  Lori finished the race a few minutes earlier and she was getting her medal at the time.

The Brulos will head to Boston this weekend.  They’ll join nearly 100 runners from Central PA, including Gary Grobman, of Susquehanna Township.

Gary recalls last year’s marathon as a perfect day to run…until the attacks.  The 61-year-old’s 8th race stand out from the others.  He remembers hearing an explosion and seeing a big puff of smoke from the finish line.  He knew it was a bomb.  Then, 14 seconds later, another explosion.  Grobman says he headed in the opposite direction, away from the attacks, but he had a hard time picking up the pace because he had just finished running the marathon.  Although last year’s events motivate him to run again on Monday, a recent medical diagnosis may stand in his way.  Grobman has Lyme Disease and he suffers from joint pains.  But, he says he’ll make every effort to run this year.

He says, “If I can’t run the whole thing, I’ll run half and if I can’t run half, I’ll run a quarter and try to get to the start because I want to be a part of this race and reclaim it for people of Boston.”

 

 

 

 

safe_image.php

Courtesy: CNN

(CNN) — A man who lost both legs in the Boston Marathon attack is engaged to the woman he was waiting for at the finish line.

Jeff Bauman, 28, is also expected a child this summer with fiancee Erin Hurley, 27, according to an announcement on his foundation’s Facebook page:

“We are so happy to share with you exciting news that has happened over the last few months…Jeff and Erin became engaged and are expecting their first child in the summer!!! Congratulations Jeff and Erin!!”

The posting did not reveal a due date for the child or a wedding date.

Bauman is credited with helping investigators identify the suspects in the April 15, 2013, double bombing.

The image of the maimed Bauman being led to safety by a man in a cowboy hat became one of the most memorable images of the Boston Marathon terrorist attack that killed three and injured more than 260 people.

A day after he woke up from two life-saving surgeries with no legs, he mustered the strength to describe bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev to law enforcement.

Tsarnaev’s younger brother, Dzhokhar, has pleaded not guilty to 30 federal charges related the bombings, including murder. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed when his brother ran over him as police were trying to handcuff him in a chase a few days later, authorities said.

Bauman announced in September that he will publish a memoir — titled “Stronger” — about his experiences at and since the marathon.

“The past months have often been difficult, but the support I’ve received from around the world, and especially from the people of Boston, has inspired me to set and achieve high goals,” he said in a statement released by Grand Central Publishing last year.

The book, which will be co-written by author Bret Witter, will be released to coincide with next month’s first anniversary of the bombings.

If you’re planning to attend the Boston Marathon in April, there will be new safety measures in place.  This year’s race will have a “no bags policy” in the wake of last year’s deadly bombings.  Runners will be allowed to check their gear at Boston Common the morning of the race in clear plastic bags.  They can also bring water bottles but they must be one liter or smaller.  Twin bombs placed in backpacks near the 2013 finish line killed three people and hurt more than 260 others.  the 2014 Boston Marathon will take place on April 21st.  Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is awaiting trial in November.  He has pled not guilty to all charges.  His brother Tamerlan died in a gun battle with police following the bombings.

CNN) — Federal prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Thursday afternoon.

Authorities allege Tsarnaev, a Chechnya-born American, and his brother Tamerlan planted two homemade bombs near the finish line of the April 15 Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring more than 250.

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer was killed three days later, triggering the massive manhunt that led to Tsarnaev’s capture. His brother was shot and killed by police during the manhunt.

“The nature of the conduct at issue and the resultant harm compel this decision,” Holder said in a statement released by the Justice Department.

After Holder made his decision, prosecutors filed Thursday a notice with a federal court that they would seek the death penalty in the case, according to Carmen Ortiz, the U.S. attorney for Massachusetts.

Dzhokar Tsarnaev is charged with 30 federal counts stemming from the attack. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

publish-dzhokhar-dead-tsarnaev_si

By, Deborah Feyerick and Rande Laboni (CNN)

Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev accused the government of imposing unduly harsh restrictions on their client in a motion filed Wednesday.

Tsarnaev is “in near total isolation,” is banned from praying with other inmates and is allowed out of his cell only to meet with lawyers or spend short periods in an outdoor enclosure, court documents said.

Massachusetts U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz asked the attorney general for these special administrative measures after Tsarnaev had been in prison for four months.

Ortiz said the restrictions are necessary as part of what prosecutors call Tsarnaev’s “continued desire to incite others to engage in violent jihad,” according to the August memorandum included in the court filing.

As evidence, prosecutors cite the 1,000 “unsolicited” letters the 19-year-old Chechnya-born American has received during his five-month incarceration. His lawyers say he has not responded to any of them.

Tsarnaev has been at the Fort Devens prison facility an hour outside Boston after a brief hospitalization for wounds incurred during his capture on April 19. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, spent days on a highly publicized run after the marathon bombing on April 15.

To read the whole story, click here.

Local reaction to Rolling Stone cover featuring Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

publish-dzhokhar-dead-tsarnaev_si

By MICHELE McPHEE - BOSTON, (CNN) – For the first time since a pair of bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 260 others in mid-April, the surviving bombing suspect is expected to be in court to hear charges leveled against him Wednesday.

A probable cause hearing for Dzhokar Tsarnaev, 19, will be held at 3:30 p.m. ET at the same South Boston federal courthouse where notorious Boston mobster James “Whitey” Bulger’s trial is underway. Authorities told ABC News there will be a heavy police presence around the courthouse as charges contained in a 30-count indictment against Tsarnaev are laid out.

Tsarnaev is charged with killing three people in the April 15 bombing – restaurant manager Krystle Marie Campbell, Boston University student Lingzi Lu and 8-year-old Martin Richard – as well as taking part in the murder of MIT police officer Sean Collier, who was fatally shot days after the bombing. Tsarnaev is also charged with causing grievance injury to MBTA police officer Richard Donahue and an assortment of federal terror-related crimes. Tsarnaev was seriously wounded in a firefight with police before he was apprehended.

Families of the slain and bomb victims who suffered amputations, burns, and debilitating injuries are expected to attend tomorrow’s proceeding to stare down “the face of evil,” as the mother of two of the severely injured told ABC News.

“It has been incredibly hard to accept what happened to my boys,” said Liz Norden, whose sons Paul and JP each lost a leg in the attack. “I’m angry. I want to be there.”

Boston police arrest a man they say tried to scam $2 million out of a fund designed to help the victims of April’s marathon bombings.  The Massachusetts Attorney General said the man claimed his dead aunt had lost two limbs.  But a police investigation revealed the aunt died more than ten years ago.  Police arrested the man at his home Tuesday after he accepted a fake check made out for $2.1 million from an undercover state trooper.  He is charged with attempted larceny and identity theft.

Advertisement