Now that lawmakers have passed a transportation plan we will soon see major improvements to Pennsylvania’s roads and bridges.
You could call it a welcome sight, roads and bridges throughout Pennsylvania getting some much-needed improvements.
“In many cases we were doing just basic maintenance. We’ll now get to see some of those projects moving forward. We’ll actually see some advancement on those jobs,” said Mike Crochunis, Press Officer for PA Department of Transportation.
For York County alone, PennDot has a list of 38 projects. A top priority, and something we will see first in the coming years, is work on worn down roads and bridges. “We’re behind the construction work that we need to do. We have been talking about this for years now. So finally something has come to be. Many of them are simple resurfacing jobs that you might see right away, you might see them within the first year or two. Something as large as the widening of I-83 to six lanes for about four miles could be in the outlying years,” said Crochunis.
One of the larger projects on the horizon for York County is the planned widening of Interstate 83 to relieve congestion, from just north of the Mount Rose Exit to the North George Street Exit. “Between Exit 18 and Exit 22. It’s about a four-mile stretch that would be widened to six lanes,” said Crochunis.
Recently the project was out of reach because of it’s $200 million price tag. “Widening 83 that was totally off the table because it was such a large ticket item,” said Crochunis. “These jobs would have been more theoretical, not moving towards construction. But with funding, something that’s dedicated, we can see this work within the next five to ten years.”
38 projects in York County highlighted on the ‘Decade Of Investment’ webpage:
- I-83 widen to six lanes including thirteen bridges on I-83 from north of Exit 18 to Exit 22 for PA 181 in Spring Garden, Springettsbury, Manchester Townships and North York Borough, $200,000,000.
- US 15 (Blue-Gray Highway) widen from PA 74 to Ore Bank Road and improve traffic signal system at US 15 intersection with Range End Road/Golf Course Road in Carrol Township, Franklin Township, and Dillsburg Borough, $75,000,000.
- Emig Road widen the railroad underpass in Manchester Township, $20,600,000.
- I-83 bridge rehabilitation, bridge preservation, resurfacing from Maryland line to a quarter-mile south of PA 214 in Hopewell, Shrewsbury and Springfield Townships, $12,250,000.
- I-83 mill and resurface from PA 921 to Exit 35 (PA 177) in Manchester, East Manchester, Conewago, Newberry and Fairview Townships, $9,200,000.
- PA 194 (Baltimore Pike) resurface from Adams county line to Franklin Town Road in Washington Township, $5,500,000.
- PA 216 (Blooming Grove Road) resurface from PA 516 (Jefferson Road) to Grandview Road in Penn, Codorus, Manheim, West Manheim Townships, $5,200,000.
- PA 24 (Cape Horn Road/North Main Street) resurface from PA 124 (East Prospect Road/Mount Rose Avenue) to PA 74 (Broadway Street) in York and Windsor Townships and Red Lion Borough, $4,835,531.
- PA 382 (Lewisberry Road) resurface from PA 114 (Cedars Road) to I-83 in Newberry and Fairview Townships and Lewisberry Borough, $3,465,000.
- US 30 (Lincoln Highway) Study to determine locations for passing lanes between PA 116 (Salem Church Road) to the Adams County Line in West Manchester, Jackson and Paradise Townships, $3,400,000.
- New Park Road resurface from PA 851 to South of Lower Chanceford Township Line in Fawn Township, $3,100,000.
- PA 462 (Lincoln Highway) resurface from Freysville Road to Howard Avenue in Hellam Township, Hallam Borough, and Wrightsville Borough, $3,000,000.
- Plank Road resurface from Main Street to PA 24 in Shrewsbury Borough and Hopewell Township, $2,900,000.
- PA 74 (Carlisle Avenue) install adaptive signal system from US 30 (Lincoln Highway) to the Dover Borough in Dover and West Manchester Townships, $2,500,000.
- Reynolds Mill Road resurface from PA 214 to George Street in Springfield and York Townships, $2,100,000.
- Susquehanna Trail resurface from PA 851 (Forrest Avenue) to PA 216 (Seaks Run Road) in Shrewsbury and Springfield Townships and Shrewsbury Borough, $2,000,000.
- Harmony Grove Road resurface from Conewago Road to PA 74 (Carlisle Road) in Dover Township, $1,900,000.
- Moulstown Road resurface from Iron Ridge Road to East of Younge Road in Penn and Heidelberg Townships, $1,600,000.
- PA 516 (Jefferson Road) resurface from PA 116 to Jefferson Borough Line in North Codorus Township and Jefferson Borough, $1,500,000.
- Church Street resurface resurface from PA 216 (Main Street) to Susquehanna Trail in Glen Rock Borough and Shrewsbury Township, $1,500,000.
- Indian Rock Dam Road resurface from PA 182 to Days Mill Road in North Codorus Township and Manchester Township, $1,500,000.
- Old Forge Road resurface from PA 114 to Cumberland County Line in Fairview Township, $1,500,000.
- PA 238 (Church Road) resurface from PA 181 (North George Street) to Farmtrail Road in Manchester Township, $1,250,000.
- PA 616 (Seven Valleys Road), Green Valley Road and PA 214 (Main Street) intersection safety improvements, potential roundabout in North Codorus Township, $1,200,000.
- Springwood Road resurface from PA 74 (South Queen Street) to Camp Betty Washington Road in York Township, $1,200,000.
- Creek Road resurface from PA 194 (Baltimore Pike) to Doe Run Road in Washington Township, $1,100,000.
- Campground Road resurface from Mountain Road to PA 74 in Carroll Township, $1,100,000.
- PA 372 (Holtwood Road) resurface from Slab Road to the Susquehanna River Bridge in Lower Chanceford Township, $1,000,000.
- PA 851(Gracetown Road/Main Street) resurface from Rocks Road to Gracetown Road in Fawn Grove Borough and Fawn Township, $900,000.
- Hollywood Drive/Hill Street resurface from PA 124 (Mt Rose Avenue) to PA 74 (South Queen Street) in York and Spring Garden Townships, $900,000.
- Marsh Run Road resurface from Old York Road to Mifflin Avenue in Fairview Township, $900,000.
- Country Club Road resurface from PA 74 to PA 24 in York Township and Red Lion Borough, $850,000.
- US 30 adaptive signalization from Kenneth Road to North Hills Road, $750,000.
- PA 116 resurface from PA 516 (Jefferson Road) to Hanover Street in North Codorus Township and Spring Grove Borough, $750,000.
- Old Stage Road resurface from PA 114 to Old Forge Road in Fairview Township, $750,000.
- Elm Avenue resurface from Adams County line to PA 94 (Carlisle Street) in Hanover Borough, $650,000.
- Spangler’s Mill Road resurface from PA 114 to Lower Allen Township Line in Fairview Township, $650,000.
- I-83 at PA 921 (Canal Road) point of access study for a new interchange in East Manchester Township, $600,000.
For more information click here.