Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates

(CNN) — Penn State University reached settlements over the past few months with what it calls 26 victims of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky — settlements that will cost the university a total of $59.7 million, the school announced Monday.

Of the 26 settlements, 23 are signed and three are agreed in principle, with final documentation expected within the next few weeks, the school said. The school also indicated a few other settlements still could come.

Sandusky was convicted in June 2012 of 45 counts relating to the sexual abuse of young boys. He’s serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence.

The school said the 26 people receiving settlements are among 32 who “were or allege that they were victims of Sandusky.” The school “rejected certain of the six remaining claims as being without merit and has engaged others in possible settlement discussions.”

“We hope this is another step forward in the healing process for those hurt by Mr. Sandusky, and another step forward for Penn State,” university President Rodney Erickson said in a statement. “We cannot undo what has been done, but we can and must do everything possible to learn from this and ensure it never happens again at Penn State.”

Local News
10/02/13

Superior Court denies Sandusky appeal

Pennsylvania Superior Court denied Jerry Sandusky’s appeal today. Sandusky was convicted last October on 45 counts of sexual abuse of young boys. He is currently serving a 30-60 year prison. His appeal argued that the judge did not properly instruct the jury. Pennsylvania Superior Court concluded otherwise, and Sandusky’s appeal is denied.

A Superior Court panel of three judges heard oral arguments in the case on September 17 during a special session at the Luzerne County Courthouse in Wilkes-Barre.

A copy of the decision can be found on Pennsylvania’s Unified Judicial System website at: http://www.pacourts.us/courts/superior-court/court-opinions

Local News
09/17/13

Latest on Sandusky’s bid for a new trial

(CNN) — A ruling is expected in coming weeks from a three-judge appeals court panel in Pennsylvania that heard Jerry Sandusky’s bid for a new trial Tuesday on charges he sexually assaulted 10 boys, spanning two decades.

Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts, deemed a sexually violent predator, and is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence.

Sandusky’s appeal centers around three arguments: That he didn’t have enough time to prepare for trial, that those who accused him waited too long to report the abuse to police, and that the prosecutor at trial improperly referenced a television interview Sandusky did with Bob Costas just days after he was charged.

The attorney general’s office argued that there was overwhelming and consistent evidence against the former Penn State linebacker coach. Eight victims and two eyewitnesses testified about his pattern of abuse.

Almost all of the victims met Sandusky through his charity, The Second Mile, which he founded for troubled youth.

Tuesday’s hearing was held in Luzerne County.

Local News
08/28/13

Sandusky responds to Penn State settlements

As Penn State reaches settlements with victims of the child abuse scandal…Jerry Sandusky is speaking out.

In a letter written to documentary filmmaker John Ziegler, Sandusky accuses Penn State of handing out payments to protect its image.

He says that the school chose to “throw out the money to anybody who called.”

His letter goes on to question the timeline of events.

Penn State has set aside sixty-million dollars for the victims of Sandusky’s abuse…

So far six victims and Sandusky’s adopted son have finalized settlements.

Philadelphia – It’s a major legal milestone for Penn State and many of the victims of Jerry Sandusky. The first of the group has come to a settlement following Sandusky’s conviction on child abuse charges.

Most of those terms will remain confidential but attorney Tom Kline says the settlement is fair. His client will see a piece of the $60 million Penn State has set aside to make good with nearly 30 victims who have suffered at the hands of a serial predator.  He believes that 25 or 26 of the 31 claims will be settled within a week.

“We have for Victim 5, as well as other victims that followed him, finality,” said attorney Tom Kline.

It’s been two years in the making, but the first of over two dozen Jerry Sandusky victims has settled with Penn State.

“That case, that claim, has been signed, sealed and delivered,” Kline said during an interview with FOX43 in his Philadelphia apartment.

Victim 5 testified during the trial that as a 13-year-old boy, he was groped by Jerry Sandusky in the Penn State showers in August of 2001.  His assault happened only six months after the Mike McQueary shower incident.

“Victim number 5 is a young man whose assault could and should have been prevented by PSU officials,” Kline said.

Kline represents Victim 5.  He says the settlement is fair and adequate.  The terms are confidential but it ends a long and heart wrenching part of his clients life.

“He is a young man who has and will have forever in his life in the deep recesses in his mind, the dark moments that happened with Jerry Sandusky,” he said.

Even though the situation has been a nightmare for Victim 5, he still has positive feelings towards Penn State. Growing up in the shadows of Beaver Stadium makes him hope that this settlement will be a huge step towards bringing Penn State back to national prominence.

“We believe that there are lessons learned by Penn State and that Penn State sees them very clearly,” Kline said.

Tom Kline says his client is a normal functioning young man with a close knit family, a girlfriend and a good job. He also plans on being a major part of the possible trial involving Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley, former Vice-President Gary Schultz and former President Graham Spanier.  Kline says while his is not excited about having to testify again, he knows it is his civic duty.

A man who was sexually abused by former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky has settled his civil suit against the University.

Tom Kline, the lawyer of a 25 year old man who was abused when he was just 13, says his client had tears in his eyes when his case was settled on Friday.

“He was, I could tell, relieved that this was over but he knew in his heart that this will never be over in terms of the damages that were caused by Jerry Sandusky,” says Kline.

His client — known as victim number 5 — is the first agreement to be signed with Penn State University

Kline calls his client’s case a pivotal and important one.

“My client was assaulted just 6 months after the infamous McQueary incident where Mike McQueary saw Jerry Sandusky doing very bad things in the locker and shower rooms as Penn State,” says Kline.

Kline says his client has spent two years in limbo giving testimony and reliving a horrific memory.

He says the compensation victim number 5 received was fair.

“And now he has gone through literally a year of negotiations through his lawyer myself which has led to the relief he hopes to get on with his life and hopes to have this now finally behind him,” says Kline.

Kline hopes the University can finish settling claims with other clients and can continue to move forward as an educational institution.

A spokesperson for Penn State says, “The University continues to make progress on multiple settlements but does not have a comment at this time.”

sandusky

By Ross Levitt and Lauren Russell

(CNN) –A man who was sexually abused by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky has settled his civil suit against the university — the first to do so, his lawyer said.

During Sandusky’s trial last year, the man was known as Victim 5.

Victim 5′s lawyer, Tom Kline, said the settlement terms are bound by a confidentiality agreement with the school, but that “the compensation was fair and adequate.”

Click here to read more on the story.

In the preliminary hearing of former Penn State University president Graham Spanier and former administrators Gary Schultz and Tim Curley, a judge ruled today that there is enough evidence to move the case to trial.

The attorney general has accused the three ex-officials of lying and conspiring to cover up Jerry Sandusky’s sex abuse crimes.

Attorneys for the accused attempted to show the evidence against the former administrators were “innuendo” and “farfetched” and that testimony from Mike McQueary was not credible.

“Every time he testifies, he says something more or different,” said Caroline Roberto, attorney for Tim Curley, speaking about McQueary’s testimony.

During today’s hearing, the prosecutor brought up emails from the time McQueary saw Sandusky with a boy in the shower. An attorney for one of Sandusky’s victims said it’s because no one went to police that he could keep preying on boys.

Meanwhile an attorney for Graham Spanier said just because the case will go to trial, it doesn’t mean his client is guilty.

“We maintain that Dr. Spanier is innocent of all charges that have been brought against him. And we look forward, and he looks forward, to the opportunity to demonstrate that for all.”

When judge William Wenner announced his decision, he called it “a sad day for Penn State University.”

The trial date has yet to be set.

Prosecutors have told Dauphin County Judge William Wenner they expect to call three or more witnesses.  Much of day 1 aimed at retired senior vice president Gary Schultz and his role in the administration’s handling of the Sandusky scandal.  On Day 2, we can expect a shift to Graham Spanier and former athletic director Tim Curley.  If defense follows through not to call any witnesses it could mean the hearing will wrap by Tuesday.

Advertisement