Checking for Carbon Monoxide; What to Do Before Turning on the Heat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

As the temperatures continue to fluctuate, over the past few days taking dips,  it’s important to keep you and your family safe by having your heating systems checked by a certified technician.  It’s a yearly recommendation that could mean the difference between life and death as the risk of carbon monoxide exposure increases as the temperature outside decreases.  The “Invisible Killer” as it is called is both odorless and colorless.  According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 150 people nationwide die every year from CO produced from items such as furnaces, ranges, and portable generators.

“Any fuel system that burns something like natural gas, or wood or charcoal is going to produce carbon monoxide and those levels can be dangerous if they are improperly vented or if a piece of equipment is malfunctioning,” said Russell Bedell, Columbia Gas of Pennsylvania.

Placing carbon monoxide detectors on every level of a home is highly recommended as the poisonous gas can build on one level while not on another.   Changing the batteries whenever clocks are changed is also recommended.

“Put the detectors where you will hear them sleeping,” said Bedell.  “So in living areas, bedrooms, don’t just put them in your basement because that wouldn’t provide the warning that you need.”

Detectors can be purchased at local hardware and super stores and typically range between $20 -$50.  For more information on how to keep safe visit,

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.