The Strand-Capitol theater in York has several great acts coming in the next few weeks. FOX 43 Morning News chatted with Ken Wesler about the upcoming events. For ticket information, check out http://www.mystrandcapitol.org/
- Thu, January 17, 2013, 7:30pm
- This sensational production reunites Four Stars from the Original Cast of Broadway’s Jersey Boys. Tony Award winner Christian Hoff, Michael Longoria, Daniel Reichard and Tony Award nominee J. Robert Spencer, star in this one-of-a-kind concert experience celebrating the music that defined the ’60s. This marks the first time the principal cast of a high-profile musical has skyrocketed as a completely new entity – this is not mimicry or tribute, it’s a true celebration of the music of an era, seven years in the making!
- Fri, January 18, 2013, 7:30pm
- Experience a spectacular evening of pageantry and military tradition. With a rich military heritage, The Black Watch and The Band of the Scots Guards celebrate the music of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales with traditional military marches, drum solos, bagpipes, Celtic dancing and more.
- Sat, February 2, 2013, 8:00pm
- One of the most acclaimed bluegrass bands of all time, Seldom Scene, launched their start from basement jam sessions at the home of one of the founding members and banjo player, Ben Eldridge. Forty years later, this band has become one of the single largest contributors to the progression of bluegrass from the early days of Flatt and Scruggs and Bill Monroe to the more contemporary sounds that they founded. Their latest CD, Scenechronized, recorded in 2007, was nominated for a Grammy award.
- Wed, February 6, 2013, 7:30pm
- Jeff Mangum is perhaps best known for being the lyricist, vocalist and guitarist of the band Neutral Milk Hotel, and as a co-founder of The Elephant 6 Recording Company. His distinctive voice – gruff, melancholy and powerful – is the first thing that strikes you at hearing Neutral Milk Hotel.
- Neutral Milk Hotel was born after the end of Synthetic Flying Machine, with an original lineup of Will Cullen Hart and Bill Doss on guitar and bass and Jeff Mangum on drums. Around 1995, Mangum left to focus on his own songs and after a year of intensive songwriting, released Neutral Milk Hotel’s debut album, On Avery Island, consisting mostly of Mangum and Robert Schneider (co-founder of Elephant 6 Recording studio) playing with friends. He expanded the lineup of Neutral Milk Hotel and in 1998, released In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.
This Filthy World: An Evening with John Waters
- Fri, February 8, 2013, 7:30pm
- John Waters is a man of many monikers: The Prince of Puke, The Duke of Dirt, The Sultan of Sleaze. Anyway you put it, John Waters is famed the world over for his trash epics including “Pink Flamingos,” “Female Trouble,” “Desperate Living,” “Polyester,” “Serial Mom,” “Pecker,” “Cecil B. Demented,” and “A Dirty Shame.” Two of his more surprisingly commercial films have been adapted for the stage. “Hairspray,” winner of eight Tony Awards and “Cry Baby – The Musical” nominated for four Tony Awards. In the summer of 2007, “Hairspray” reinvented itself cinematically as a big-budget Hollywood movie starring John Travolta that became a smash hit worldwide.“This Filthy World” is Waters’s rapid-fire one-man spoken word “vaudeville” act that celebrates the film career and joyously appalling taste of the man William Burroughs once called “The Pope of Trash.”