Girl, 12, Dies After Huffing Freon From Air Conditioning Unit

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KTLA) — Kristal Salcido lived here with her grandma and little cousins.

It’s  here in the backyard by the air conditioning units, where the family says Kristal found easy access to the chemical freon.

She inhaled it, later passing out in her grandma’s bathroom.

Kristal was pronounced brain-dead at a local hospital. Her family made the difficult choice to take her off  life support four days later.

Her family says there were never warning signs of Kristal’s dangerous behavior.

Friends at Mesa Linda remember Kristal as kind, vivacious and popular.

And unfortunately, Kristal isn’t alone.

According to inhalants.org — an anti-drug website — one in five students has inhaled a chemical to get high by the eighth grade.

Read more here.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.