At least three injured after explosion at Letterkenny Army Depot

Early morning shootings in Harrisburg: two charged with Attempted Murder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Police make one arrest in a pair of early morning shooting incidents in Harrisburg.  The first incident happened at around 1:25 am at a home in the 1700 block of North 5th Street.  The home is occupied by two men, one of them bedridden.  One of the victims answered a knock on the door. A woman who kept her head down asked to come in. The victim became suspicous and didn’t open the door. Suddently a second person, a man, appeared armed with a handgun demanding the victim open the door.

The victim, fearful of a home invasion robbery or worse, got a handgun and fired at the assailant through the door. The assailant fired back, and both men exchanged a number of gunshots. Despite the exchange, no one was injured. Two cars parked on the street were struck by bullets.

The assailants got into a car and fled.  Alerted by a broadcast description of the car, Capitol Police spotted and stopped the car. The driver, 22 year old Samantha Otero, was taken into custody. The other suspect, identified as 34 year old Anderson Ortiz, attempted to flee on foot, but was captured. Officers also found a gun in the area where Ortiz ran.

Charges against Ortiz include Attempted Homicide, Aggravated Assault, Recklessly Endangering Another Person, Carrying Firearm without License and other related charges. Otero is charged with Attempted Homicide and Conspiracy.

The second shooting incident happen at around 2:15 am in the 600 block of Camp Street.  Responding officers found a man collapsed in the street suffering from a gunshot wound in his thigh. The victim said that he had been arguing with another man over money that the victim owed. The suspect got very upset and shot the victim.  Police say the suspect has not been identified.  The victim was taken to the Hershey Medical Center for treatment.

The investigation into both incidents continue.