On July 4th, 1863 the Confederate Army began that advance back to Virginia. In doing so, they passed right in front of the historic Fairfield Inn. Employees there fed hundreds of the soldiers ham and bean soup, a recipe that is still used today at the inn. The front parlor of the inn was also used as a doctor’s office to treat wounded soldiers.
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.