A Lancaster neighborhood is grieving following a deadly fire that broke out Thursday morning.
It started in the first floor kitchen of 115 East Clay Street just before 3 a.m., where a pan was left unattended.
The homeowner, Jimmie Moore, 64, was killed. David Kuhn and two of his sons, Skylar, 8, and Shawn, 6, also died in the fire. The Kuhns were staying with Moore temporarily until they found a place of their own.
Lancaster Fire Chief Tim Gregg said it appeared the smoke detectors in the home were not up to code.
Fifteen people were staying at the home when the fire started.
One of Moore’s daughters, who was seven months pregnant, was rushed to Lancaster General for an emergency c-section. She and her baby girl are doing fine.
Dozens of family, friends and neighbors gathered across the street from the home as firefighters and investigators worked.
Moore’s children said he was a Vietnam veteran and dedicated father of nine, who was well-known in the community for his generosity.
“He always was one to help out others, and if it came down to his last two dollars, he would give you his last two dollars,” Jimmie Brock said.
“My father was a true person,” added Cyrena Brock. “He was kind, sweet, nice to everybody out here on the streets, gave people home if they needed it, helped them out. And they will be truly missed.”
Autopsies for Moore, Kuhn and his two sons are scheduled for Friday.
Kuhn’s wife Crystal and their other two children, Micky, 4, and Cordell, 2, remain in critical condition at Crozer-Chester Medical Center.