How to help those impacted by Hurricane Florence

Robber shoots himself during police chase, may be involved in bomb threat at pre-school

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A man is dead and multiple State Troopers injured after a police chase went through several townships and counties Monday night. Today, Police say the suspect is dead and could be connected to a bomb threat made at a pre-school last Friday.

This pursuit lasted three hours. It started with a robbery at the M&T Bank in Guilford Township, and ended after the suspecy shot himself in the head and crashed his car.   Cumberland County District Attorney David freed said 37 -year -old Dakin Burgess of Pittsburgh was first pulled over by state police, shot that trooper in the foot, and drove away.  During the chase he continued to shoot at troopers, inuring another one in the shoulder.

” This individual was very intent on getting away. He was going to  stop at nothing to lure our officers into getting closer so he could engage in gun fire,” said Capt. Steven Junkin, Pennsylvania State Police

After he hid in the cornfield police say he led them on a chase through most of upper Cumberland County before troopers rammed his car and he then shot himself.  It all came to an end in two front yards on Roxburry Road in Upper Mifflin Township.

” We heard gun shots, a boom, the car flipped and took the mailbox, the pole, and then it came to a rest,” says Bev Minich, of Upper Mifflin Township

The Cumberland County District Attorney says they have reason to believe this man is also connected to a bomb threat made at a pre-school on Friday that turned out to be a hoax.

Around 2:00 friday afternoon a threat was called into the growing tree pre-school  in a mennonite church along Route 11 North in Marion, Franklin County. After bringing in a bomb sniffing dog a device was found near the doorway of the school where the children left everyday. A bomb squad determined that the device didn’t hold any explosive materials, but the investigation led to clues found in Burgess’s possession.

Captain Steve Junkin said, “there were certain things that connected him. I can say as far as the construction and information he had in his car related to that facility.”

Traffic along Route 11 was detoured for six hours that day .

The state troopers injured in last night’s chase are recovering and doing well. The Cumberland County Coroner released his autopsy report of the suspect this afternoon and it stated Burgess died from a gun shot  wound to the head, and he also suffered a gun shot wound in his leg.



  • uhavnoclu

    Read my comment last night…He was shot….was it really by himself?????????????????????????????????…Tomorrow is 9/11…did the passengers bring the plane down or were the stories true…it was shot down????????????????????????????????
    Never take what you read and see and hear for granted.take nothing for granted.

Comments are closed.