House fire started by warming car in Monaghan Twp

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Firefighters battled a 2-alarm blaze started by a warming car in York County this morning. It was a little chilly this morning, so Lynne Maclay started her car in the garage of her home at 542 West Siddonsburg Road. She went back into her home after starting the car and heard some popping noises coming from the garage. She returned to see her car was on fire. Maclay tried to put out the fire with a home extinguisher, but the gasoline-fed flames spread quickly. The fire spread to the attic. Neighbor reported hearing explosions coming from the home Assistant Fire Chief Les Darr says that was gunpowder from some black powder reloading materials stored upstairs in the home.

Firefighters had a large task on their hands, as the fire had quite a head start before they arrived and there was limited manpower to battle the fire, according to Darr.

Damage to the home is extensive. No one was injured.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.