Fire in Lancaster leaves 4 people displaced

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire broke out in the 200 block of North Reservoir Street in Lancaster around 10 o’clock Thursday morning. 3 people inside were able to make it out safely, but a forth occupant escaped out a third floor window.

He made his way to the roof of the porch where firefighters with the Lancaster City Fire Department rescued him using a ladder. He did suffer some cuts and bleeding, but was otherwise okay. One of the firefighters said the occupants were lucky it was a daytime fire because there was only one working smoke detector in the entire home.

Another first responder described what he saw when he first arriving on the scene. “There was billowing smoke and we heard the man crying out for help” said Captain Ken Barton.

The fire took about 15 minutes to put out and no one was seriously injured. The fire has been ruled accidental. It started in the kitchen near the stove. The four people that lived in the house are staying with family.

1 Comment

  • Bev.

    Your story is completely wrong. One person was home at the time of the fire, he escape onto the back roof, and there were two working fire detectors in the house.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.