BBQ warning: What one woman ate from her grill that nearly killed her

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A woman in Washington state is lucky to be alive. Tammy Johnson was having a barbecue with her husband and grandchild, when she ate something that nearly killed her.

A day later, she told Q13FOX News,  “I just had pain. You just wouldn’t think you would have eaten something that would cause this.”

Tammy was rushed to the hospital, where they found a tiny wire from a brush had punctured her intestine.

Doctors performed an emergency surgery, but an infection shut down her intestines and Tammy nearly died.

“It’s been very scary,” said Johnson. “Something like this happens and you think I just want to see tomorrow.”

Tammy is still at the hospital, but is expected to recover.

She said she was shocked to find out many other people around the country have suffered internal injuries from accidentally eating wire bristles.

The CDC issued a warning about grill brushes two years ago.

Read more: Q13Fox


  • Laure Nowicki

    Umm…warning about grill brushes??? Really?? No, people need warnings on their common sense. Use the grill brush but take the rack inside to be washed and submersed in hot soapy water with a RAG!! Sorry, but I don’t feel bad for her. Too lazy to take her crap in and give it a proper washing and this is the price she paid for it!

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.