Get Your Election Results Here!

Victims of Dr. Cho urged to get substance abuse treatment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Jay Cho

Charges were filed recently against Midstate doctor, Dr. Jay J. Cho for over prescribing opioid painkillers to his patients.

The agencies which manage public-funded substance abuse treatment services for Cumberland and Franklin Counties are urging any of Dr. Cho’s former patients who have developed a dependency on opioid painkillers to seek substance abuse treatment in order to break the addiction and regain control of their lives.

County officials are reaching out directly to those former patients of Dr. Cho who have been identified as victims in the current criminal proceedings.

Since the Cumberland County District Attorney’s Office is taking the lead with criminal prosecution, these outreach efforts are being facilitated by the Cumberland County Victim Services Division. It is recognized, however, that there may be several other former patients of Dr. Cho who are in need of substance abuse intervention and treatment services.
If a patient does not have insurance coverage, they may be eligible for county-managed treatment services. If a patient does have private insurance or Medical Assistance, the county drug and alcohol agencies may still be able to assist in accessing substance abuse treatment services.

Those who develop an addiction to painkiller medication are at risk of an accidental overdose. In recent years there has been a tremendous increase in unintentional overdose deaths linked to prescription painkillers and heroin. Unintentional overdoses have surpassed motor vehicle accidents as the leading cause of accidental deaths in Pennsylvania.

Cumberland County residents can call the Cumberland-Perry Drug & Alcohol Commission at (717) 240-6300 or toll free at (866) 240-6300. Franklin County residents can call the Franklin-Fulton Drug & Alcohol Program at (717) 263-1256. Any intervention, case management, or treatment services provided by either agency are completely confidential.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.