77-year old woman thrives at work despite Upper Dauphin robbery

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Elizabethville, Pa. -- Joan Straub has worked at the Lisi Shell gas station for nearly a half century. She experienced something this week which has never happened to her before.

Straub, 77 of Millersburg, arrived at work at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when she claims a man snuck out of bushes behind the gas station and approached her car. When she got out of the car, the man pulled out a knife, and demanded Straub give him her purse and car, she says.

"He got in my car and just sat there for a while," Straub said. "I wish I could've done something. I think he was just going through my pocketbook."

Straub says the man remained in the gas station parking lot for a few minutes as she called 9-1-1.

"He was standing there and I was like what the heck? You don't even cover your face up. What is your problem?" Straub exclaimed. "And he was high! I know he was high!"

Law enforcement appears to agree with Straub's claim. Five hours later, using descriptions from Straub, as well as surveillance video and traffic cameras,  Pennsylvania State Police in Lykens arrested Kyle Lewis, 19 of Millersburg. He was charged with robbery, theft, and simple assault. Lewis was placed in Dauphin County Prison on $100,000 bail.

"He appeared to be intoxicated. Probably on prescription medications," Corporal Earl Rhoades of PSP Lykens said. "I don't know if he set out at the beginning of the evening to rob someone of their vehicle."

Straub wasn't done, however. She met police -- and Lewis -- in Millersburg where he was arrested, and wanted to give her robber a piece of her mind.

"Most of the time people don't want to confront someone," Corporal Rhoades said. "She wanted to talk to him and ask where her pocketbook was."

Straub was able to get her car back, as well as a few credit cards, but she had no luck getting her purse returned. Instead, she returned to work later that day, just like she's done for the last 40 years. She has no plans on stopping anytime soon.

"Everyone came in and hugged me. They wanted to charge a dollar for all the hugs I got!" Straub said. "I love my job. I'm not ready to go yet. That's just how I am."



Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.