YORK, Pa. - When most people think of summertime food, seafood comes to mind. But to keep your beach body in check, that may be an option you skip over for fruits and veggies. But, many fish and crustaceans are packed with nutrients, sustainable, and simple to prepare. Allison Ives with Medifast Weight Control Center stopped by the FOX43 kitchen to share the health benefits of some seafood favorites and to showcase a Shrimp Ceviche dish.
Shrimp Ceviche Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 pounds raw, peeled, and deveined shrimp
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lime juice
½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
½ cup diced cucumbers
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
¼ cup diced green onion
½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, chopped into small pieces
4 cups mixed greens
Hot sauce (optional)
1. Boil a large pot of water. Immerse shrimp in boiling water and cook for one to two minutes maximum, depending on size of shrimp. 2.Remove from water with a slotted spoon to stop the cooking process.
3. Place shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lemon and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers with the shrimp. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
5. Mix in green onion, cilantro, and avocado pieces.
6. Serve over a bed of mixed greens. Top with hot sauce, if desired.