Nashville, TN — One of this year’s hottest Christmas gifts may come with a warning.
Hoverboards are reportedly catching fire and exploding across the country.
“Some of the incidents that we’ve seen are the battery, as it’s charging, will shoot out from the device, or the device itself will catch fire when it’s in use,” said Claire Marsalis with the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office.
The danger is lithium ion batteries, which are known to overheat in some electronics.
If the hoverboard is cheaply made, experts said the circuits inside may not be up to par.
“Right now there aren’t a lot of regulations with hoverboards, and that’s one of the issues,” Marsalis said. “But I think as these incidents increase, we’ll start to see some regulations start to pop up.”
Channel 4 worked to find out how to keep families safe if a hoverboard is at the top of their Christmas list.
“If you are going to buy one, try to get one with a warranty. That way you can return it that way,” Marsalis said. “Try to get one at an actual brick and mortar store so that you know who you’re buying from.”
The Fire Marshal’s Office said there are no reports of hoverboard incidents in Tennessee, but officials recommend buying one that has passed nationally recognized safety standards.
Marsalis also said customers should follow the instructions.
“We want to make sure that you’re staying to where you can see the device as it’s charging. Don’t leave them unattended when charging,” she said.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating all concerns relating to hoverboards.
Safety experts said hoverboards are not officially classified as a toy or transportation mode. Some countries, including the U.K., are confiscating them.
The online retailer Overstock announced that it would stop selling hoverboards on its website — effective immediately.
Overstock explained in a Wednesday press release that the removal was a precaution taken in response to recent news about the self-balancing scooters.
American, Delta and United all announced on Thursday that they would no longer allow the devices on their planes.