Hot ashes spark fire that leaves family of 12 homeless

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

courtesy: Chris Kennedy

LANCASTER COUNTY, Pa. – A dozen people in one family are homeless after a fire damages their Paradise Township home. The fire broke at about 9:53 am at the home at 853 Strasburg Road(Route 741 near Kinzers.

The first firefighters on the scene reported heavy flames and smoke pouring from windows of the two story farm house. Route 741 was shutdown for about 2 hours while fire crews battled the flames. The fire was under control in about an hour. There were no reported injuries.

According to the Fire Marshal, the fire was sparked by hot ashes that were not properly discarded in the home’s mud room.  A family member forgot to set an ash can out doors after emptying the coal stove.  Damage to the home is estimated at $200,000.

 

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.